Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Flopped Quads

Button in this hand is 20.5/7.3/1.7. idiot in the middle is 31/3/0.9. In retrospect I think leading the flop probably would be best.

party 5/10 full
i have KJs and limp UTG. Idiot calls. Button raises. SB folds. BB folds.

The flop comes out JJJ

I check. Idiot bets. Button raises. Should I 3-bet from here? Or should I do something fancy on the turn?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Flopped Quads

Depends on your table reads, a cold call, looks very very suspicious and you run the risk of getting it checked through on the turn (depending on their read of you). I have tried it both ways and discovered with a raise, I can get them to call down but when I cold call and try for a check-raise on the turn it more often then not gets checked through and I have to get one lousy bet out of them on the river.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 PM

Another thing to consider is what your table image is. If you are an aggressive player, who is always aggressive - then calling 2 cold here is a dead giveaway (i.e. you shoudl raise and hope it gets capped). If you are viewed as a careful player, then calling here and planning a turn check raise could be more profiatble.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:11 PM

This is always difficult and since it happens rarely, you don't have a good read on what other players will do/react.

I once got to a river with 5 still in holding a nut flush in first position. Figuring that somebody else was bound to have a flush (it came on the river) I checked anticipating a nice multiway checkraise. Sadly, it got checked through.

But to your hand, when it comes to you raised I'd just coldcall. Yes, it looks suspicious but I'd probably play it the same with some low pair or AK or AQ overcards. I'd probably raise with a high pair, so that's where I'd put Button. In which case he ain't going anywhere, if he checks to you you bet, if he bets to you you call at the turn. Ram and jam at the river. It's very frustrating when you have the nuts on the flop trying to extract the maximum, but you can't let it get checked through when it's big bets. That's all I've learned!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM

As an added note, if the players are LAG or LPP I will bet out on the flop, The fish call, the LAGs tend to raise.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:15 PM

Raise preflop, bet out the flop. Hopefully you can trap everyone for 2SB's on this street, and then bet out again on the turn, maybe Button's got a big pair, and will raise again.