Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 08:03 AM

Default AA with ugly flop

Hi everyone, first hand post.

Taking a shot at $10/$20 last night when this hand came up.

UTG is 14/3 after 80 hands, no read on MP2.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero...?

What's my line here? I want to attack this large pot but I don't want to spew chips when most of UTG and MP2's likley hands have me beat.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: AA with ugly flop

Bet and see what happens. You can't go much further than that without seeing what happens. Generally, you should see a showdown against one of them, but fold if they're both going crazy.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:42 AM

this flop isn't as bad as say, KQJ, but still pretty ugly, but you still have to bet here and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet and see what happens. You can't go much further than that without seeing what happens. Generally, you should see a showdown against one of them, but fold if they're both going crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never played 10-20, but can't we put the pf capper on AK KK-TT and just go for a cheap showdown?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never played 10-20, but can't we put the pf capper on AK KK-TT and just go for a cheap showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the plan, but if they get into a raise war we can fold it before showdown.

I've never played 10-20 either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 AM

Ok, here's more.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls?

Was I right to just call the flop raise? After UTG (14/3) cold called I thought I was done for and just playing for the gutshot.

When UTG just calls MP2's turn bet I feel pretty confident I have him beat and the pot seems big enough to call down MP2 and hope for KK. Especially with a draw to the nut straight if I'm behind.

Looking good?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:02 AM

I 3-bet the flop there, I think it's still a raise for value, and you can define some hands.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet the flop there, I think it's still a raise for value, and you can define some hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 3-betting defines MP2's hand here, he's pretty much going to cap it every time. Most players will cap KK on this flop.

UTG would probably call a 3 bet, based on his coldcall I think it's likely he's either decided to call down KK and AQ or is slowplaying in which case he will wait till the turn. I think it's unlikely for him to do anything else but call on this flop.

For information I don't think a 3-bet is worthwhile and it bloats the pot further commiting me to showdown.

I'm not convinced that a 3-bet would be for value. Here are the possible hands for MP2:

AA - 1
KK - 6
QQ - 3
JJ - 3
TT - 3
AK - 8

I'm ahead of 6 combinations and behind 18, it gets even uglier with the possibility of UTG slowplaying.