Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Stud/8 hand

This hand was towards the end of a longish/uneventful stud/8 session. My image was very tight, seeing 4th street about 18% of the time, even lower than usual for me. I was just running card dead for the most part but not playing stuff out of boredom.

Seat 1 had just recently joined the table and was a new face--no reads. Seat 2 has been at the table longer but was also a new face. Seemed to chase some hands longer than I would have.

I was going to ditch 6th until I got the OESD giving me lots of outs for high.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

Seat 1: $7.90
Seat 3: $19.90
Seat 4: $55.55
Seat 6: $26.55
Seat 7: $44.70
Hero: $131.80

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (7.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (10.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets $1.30 and is all-in
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (12.00 BB)
Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 hand

I think you played this way too passively IMHO. I would complete on third and put some pressure on the BI. Bet out fourth, I would probably bet out fourth even though you didnt complete. The hand will play a lot different if you complete this on third.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this way too passively IMHO. I would complete on third and put some pressure on the BI. Bet out fourth, I would probably bet out fourth even though you didnt complete. The hand will play a lot different if you complete this on third.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right. I think 4th is definitely a bet. I just didn't like seeing that A3 even though he was the bring-in, but it's important to bet to put pressure on the 8-7 as well.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:43 PM

I'd raise the river to get more from the lone aces if you can.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I hadn't considered that since it's pretty unlikely I'm beaten in both directions by Seat 3.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I hadn't considered that since it's pretty unlikely I'm beaten in both directions by Seat 3.

[/ QUOTE ]but you might lose his half bet if he folds. I can't imagine him calling two cold on the river with just bare aces and no low. You pretty much have a bad low and a bad high and I don't see a raising doing anything but feeding the rake or costing you a call from a worse hand.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but you might lose his half bet if he folds. I can't imagine him calling two cold on the river with just bare aces and no low. You pretty much have a bad low and a bad high and I don't see a raising doing anything but feeding the rake or costing you a call from a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 AM

You're not obligated to play 8, 6, 5 at all. I wouldn't, unless there was no other low card besides the bring-in.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:18 PM

i agree with the other posters that passivity particularly on 3rd may have been the problem - giving the BI a free card usually comes back to bite you, however given the small amount of money you put into the pot i think the only clear mistake is not folding on 5th street. two small pair is a trap hand against open aces and a low .. heads up against either hand is a different story -- so just quietly muck 5th when you have little invested and not much of a chance to scoop.