Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Freeroll strategy

I'll be in the PartyPoker $5k freeroll tonight, and was just curious if there are any opinions on how best to play? I've never really played in a tournament of this size.

Because it's a freeroll I assume that some people will be playing very loose early on looking to catch a monster flop and bust somebody out that thinks their top pair or top two pair look good.

Ted
Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Freeroll strategy

Standard advice is play +ev poker, easier said than done.

One piece of advice that sometimes people don't see is good players punish bad players. Early on if you see some bad players looking to give away their chips don't be afraid to mix it up with them. In other words carefully consider implied odds and play some hands in position.

Top pair no kicker is a terrible hand in a deep stack tournament vs. Allen Cunningham but is a great hand vs. Mr. Allinwithanypartoftheflop.

If that makes any sense.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Freeroll strategy

[ QUOTE ]

One piece of advice that sometimes people don't see is good players punish bad players. Early on if you see some bad players looking to give away their chips don't be afraid to mix it up with them. In other words carefully consider implied odds and play some hands in position.

If that makes any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes perfect sense, and thank you for the advice. I assume that once the field has been cut in half (if I'm still around), it's more difficult to identify those players you mention that are trying to dump their chips.

Thanks again for the response!
Ted (Mr_Cryptos on PartyPoker)