Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 04:04 AM

Default God, I wanted to slowplay...but it IS Party 2/4....

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button is typical Party fishy. The rest are relatively unknown.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG (poster) calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="blue">Does anyone just smoove call here? I thought to myself...hell, this bunch (at least the button) is almost as likely to cold call me.</font>

Turn: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (15 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: God, I wanted to slowplay...but it IS Party 2/4....

should you raise the flop or should you call? Well if you do just call, hands like 87,85,73,52 and 32 will be getting the correct implied odds to outdraw your hand. If you think there is a good chance hands like these are out there, then you should raise this flop every time. Given that it is party 2-4 and its 6 handed, these kind of holdings can easily be there, so I would rather raise and force them to call incorrectly or fold correctly. If you had QQ on a Q72r flop with the same pot size, I would be more apt to slowplay, but even in this situation, slowplaying my still be incorrect if raising the flop will induce more action than waiting til the turn to raise.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
should you raise the flop or should you call? Well if you do just call, hands like 87,85,73,52 and 32 will be getting the correct implied odds to outdraw your hand. If you think there is a good chance hands like these are out there, then you should raise this flop every time. Given that it is party 2-4 and its 6 handed, these kind of holdings can easily be there, so I would rather raise and force them to call incorrectly or fold correctly. If you had QQ on a Q72r flop with the same pot size, I would be more apt to slowplay, but even in this situation, slowplaying my still be incorrect if raising the flop will induce more action than waiting til the turn to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree the 46 combo was just enough to make my decision. Button was certainly capable of having some of the hands you listed. The pot was already pretty nice and I didn't want to screw around.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:04 AM

I think you played it fine. This doesn't look like a place to slowplay. If you had for instance, limped in with a pair of 4s or 6s, then this might be a more suitable spot to slowplay. Even those situations might not work, though.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 PM

I think the pot is too large to slowplay with too many people in the hand. Looks good to me. Where to draw the line at how many people in the pot/size of the pot though...I don't know. With this many people though you have to expect some callers. Slowplaying is generally reserved when you think people will outright fold to the aggression, which I wouldn't see happening often here.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 PM

If you think they're just as likely to call the raise as call the single bet, then by all means raise. I normally like to raise here as lot of players will call a raise on the flop and then call the single double bet on the turn, whereas if you raised the turn you'd most likely blow both the button and SB out of the pot.

Your position is bad for waiting to raise on the turn, therefore I raise now and hope they call.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 PM

Another thing to note is that a raise on the flop looks more like top pair then a set and most people will think their overcards are good if they hit(which I believe happened when the SB hit the ace).
Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing to note is that a raise on the flop looks more like top pair then a set and most people will think their overcards are good if they hit(which I believe happened when the SB hit the ace).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. And you're right--both SB and the button hit their ace on the turn.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 PM

The fact that you got so many cold-calls on the flop is exactly the reason why you should just raise the flop.

Also note your relative position. If you wait and pop the turn, you be facing a ton of players with two big bets cold and will likely shut out a lot of action.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Pre-flop is a raise.

Flop isnt that draw heavy but if they are going to call you anyway might as well get as much money in there as possible.

Turn raise raise raise. They are pretty much drawing dead at this point.

River Bet.

Pretty standard. I dont see how you could have played it better on any streets.