Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Simpler Question to Avoid PrayingMantis\'s Wrath

Are white doctors who believe OJ is innocent, on average worse doctors (not including bedside manner) than white doctors who think he was guilty?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Simpler Question to Avoid Grasshopper\'s Wrath

I'll leave it for tomorrow. Now I got to sleep! (way too late here...) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Simpler Question to Avoid PrayingMantis\'s Wrath

Find that white doctor and i'll pay you a million dollars

g

And btw i have no idea the significance, irony, or intention of your question. But it will probably stir up some [censored].

PS. I'd be curious, David, to see your response to my intelligent people dont make better ethical decisions post.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:33 PM

Thank you Mr S. Maybe that illustrates that it's not 'about' religion, it's about rationality, the pineal gland for where logical thought meets wishful thinking, the nature of intelligence, etc, because I know in some way I barely see the religiosity and find I'm looking at the underlying issues and the religious aspect of it could well be numerology or luckyshirts. I think chez made a comment that perhaps expressed it better.

So, given the doctors all followed the main evidence disputed at the trial, I'd be a bit leary of going to the not-guilty ones for anything analytical.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 11-01-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you Mr S. Maybe that illustrates that it's not 'about' religion, it's about rationality, the pineal gland for where logical thought meets wishful thinking, the nature of intelligence, etc, because I know in some way I barely see the religiosity and find I'm looking at the underlying issues and the religious aspect of it could well be numerology or luckyshirts. I think chez made a comment that perhaps expressed it better.

So, given the doctors all followed the main evidence disputed at the trial, I'd be a bit leary of going to the not-guilty ones for anything analytical.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

The pineal gland's function in mammals is almost entirely endocrine (as far as has been shown).

I think new agey types liked giving it other functions came from the fact it develops into a direct light-sensing organ in amphibians as opposed to an indirect one in mammals.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 PM

David, do you really believe that the murkiness regarding OJ's guilt/innocence is even within 10 orders of magnitude of the religious positions maintained on here?

Of course, I think he probably did it, but I wouldn't lay 100:1. I would lay 10^10:1 that religious positions taken on here are full of [censored].
Old 11-01-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pineal gland's function...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I was unclear, it was a poor allusion to Descartes' mind/body problem. I sometimes take Mr S's probings in a similar vein ( regardless of how he intended them :-). We are creatures with rational and irrational traits, how do we deal with them as a unity? This doctor question seems no different to me than some of the religious based ones.
If intelligent informed people do make poor rational decisions at times, what is the reason? or, if a person makes poor use of logic what does that say about how much we can trust their judgement in other areas, or ...

I'm certainly not speaking for Mr S here, just how I react to and work through some of the plots he has thrown at us.

luckyme,
If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 11-01-2005, 09:07 PM

"David, do you really believe that the murkiness regarding OJ's guilt/innocence is even within 10 orders of magnitude of the religious positions maintained on here?

Of course, I think he probably did it, but I wouldn't lay 100:1. I would lay 10^10:1 that religious positions taken on here are full of [censored]."

I don't agree with your numbers, but if I did, the point would be even stronger wouldn't it?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with your numbers, but if I did, the point would be even stronger wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? I find the OJ example irrelevant. Have you ever watched a Hitchcock film?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Find that white doctor and i'll pay you a million dollars

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could hold you to that... I'm pretty sure there is a white doctor somewhere that believes OJ was innocent.