Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 03:39 AM

Default Awesome interview

http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...php?a_id=14359

Awesome interview. Some of his comments gave gave me goosebumps. Some good quotes..
[ QUOTE ]
If you see me playing longer than 20 hours, I’m usually winning. There’s a reason I’m staying that long. It’s time to dig in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As I started coming up through the ranks and playing higher and higher, I realized that you learn at every level. There’s a big difference between playing $400-$800 and playing $4,000-$8,000

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I haven’t seen one yet. I always want to play as high as I possibly can. I’d like to play $8,000-$16,000 if I could, but it may not be the best thing. People always ask me if I need to gamble that high, and I think I do if I want to get better. You can’t be afraid to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I’d see side games at the tournaments where they were playing $4,000-$8,000, and first place would be $600,000 in the tournament. I’d dump off my chips. That’s why I won’t play now unless I try my hardest. I made my mind up right before I went to Turning Stone. I told my wife that I wasn’t going to be traveling to play tournaments unless I put all of my attention into it. It’s just a waste of money otherwise. From now on, there are no excuses, because I’m trying my hardest.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The best players can tell when another player is adjusting or thinking about adjusting, and then it’s back and forth. So, if you do have a strategy, you’d better be willing to change it. Like Mike Tyson said, “They all have a strategy until they get hit.”

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm stealing that as my go-to line. And yes, I might be turning in a WPT forum loser.

I want to be Phil Ivey.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Awesome interview

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, I might be turning in a WPT forum loser

[/ QUOTE ]

if this were true you'd have noticed someone posted this interview in the WPT forum already. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2004, 04:29 AM

Good read, thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 AM

Damn this guy can put up some hours.

[ QUOTE ]
CD: How much time do you spend online at FullTilt?

PI: I try to play about 10 hours a week.

CD: How much time do you spend playing live games?

PI: I put in between 50 and 90 hours a week. I put in a lot of time playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 AM

another good one:

It’s also the same with any job. You need to be able to compete in all games. You need to play no-limit, pot-limit Omaha, no-limit deuce-to-seven, limit hold’em, stud, Omaha eight-or-better. Not only do you need to know how to play all of those games, you need to know how to win at them.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:12 PM

You missed the best quote:

[ QUOTE ]
(Phil’s wife overheard this and said, “So, that’s where those went. I thought you lost them.” “Yeah,” he said. “I lost them in the garbage can.” “Those were nice sunglasses,” she said. “Yeah, so nice that they cost me a $100,000 pot.”)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM

Anyone know this Henry Orenstein guy or have played with him?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:51 PM

He's a toy inventor turned poker player. He's had some high finishes in the WSOP and might even have a bracelet. I've never played with him, but I think he's solid.

Peace

Goodie
Old 11-11-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a toy inventor turned poker player. He's had some high finishes in the WSOP and might even have a bracelet. I've never played with him, but I think he's solid.

Peace

Goodie

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he's solid? Nah. All he did was own a 400/800 game in AC and kick PHIL IVEY back to the 75/150 game for months and months; he probably can't play a lick.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know this Henry Orenstein guy or have played with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he the guy who came up with the idea for the "Poker Stars" show on Fox Sports? I think he invented their camera-in-the-table way of seeing hole cards.