Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Suited ace flops a draw

MP3 is a bit loose (VPIP around 30) but has been playing well postflop and not lost money the last hour.

SB is passive, played against him before and had him fold to steals often. BB I don't know.

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Felt like a pretty standard line. But every time I think that and post it here someone tells me otherwise.... so hae at it.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Suited ace flops a draw

unless you know the table is loose passive, I fold preflop. Other than that, I think you played it fine.

why would MP3 not 3-bet a K on the flop? Hmm.. maybe something like 88 or A2s.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 AM

I don't like raising this flop considering that it's paired and forcing two behind you to call two if they want to stay in.

I like just going for the overcalls on the flop.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like raising this flop considering that it's paired and forcing two behind you to call two if they want to stay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Look at how it worked out -- your raise was not for value since one person folded, and you didn't get a free turn card. You were lucky to avoid the worst case of both players behind you folding and BB 3-betting.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:56 AM

I think the raise was ok. Most of the time a K is going to reraise you. The raise may have cleaned up some overcard outs. However the coldcall by MP3 followed by him betting into the flop raiser is suspicious. Obviously you have to call the turn bet unless you are convinced he has already filled up.

Results? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2005, 11:00 AM

no way- lot's of passives with K-8o K-3 will call your raise thinking you have them out-kicked - or worse yet they will wait till the turn to pop you in yo eye when the flush hits on the turn and they fill up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

IMO, go for overcalls and if you hit your flush don't overplay it knowing the board is already paired.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 AM

But if all 9 hearts are good, then the raise is for value. Then you have got a 2% equity edge with two opponents on the flop. And even if the persons behind you fold, you might get a free card on the turn. The only real bad scenario is if they fold and you get reraised heads up, as you said. So i think this play is good.

The preflop call though is questionable, personally i would fold this.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 AM

Not that it is a huge point, but playing that hand UTG preflop may not be a goal to strive for.

More importantly, I would call behind the BB on the flop for two reasons.
1) in this small pot, I am trying to attract callers behind me, and thus build a pot if I hit my draw.
2) by calling, I think there is a good chance that you avoid waking the sleeping giant (the player who has a K if a K is out). You don't want to raise and get reraised here, and while I think a player with a K would smooth call, I don't think he would forgo an opportunity to 3 bet.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if all 9 hearts are good, then the raise is for value. Then you have got a 2% equity edge with two opponents on the flop. And even if the persons behind you fold, you might get a free card on the turn. The only real bad scenario is if they fold and you get reraised heads up, as you said. So i think this play is good.

The preflop call though is questionable, personally i would fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh its unlikely all 9 are good, specifically pairing the turn card(if its not a heart will sink you) ..

you don't have a edge here, the pot is tiny so trying to win it on the spot isn't your #1 concern .. go for overcalls here
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Results?

MP3 had [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J and put rather less money into the pot than I would have holding his hand.