Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: results

So why aren't you folding the river when the board fails to pair? Is this why you posted the hand? You wanted to know if the river call was apropos?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why aren't you folding the river when the board fails to pair? Is this why you posted the hand? You wanted to know if the river call was apropos?

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda.....i initally had the post titled "calling when you KNOW you are beat", but I just have a hard time folding TPTK.....also, I think it may be good to show other players that they can't donk you off of a hand....i dunno....
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Donk bet from a passive player

You're right you do have to spend that extra bet. Good point.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 AM

This is where I get frustrated with discussing hands vs. players I don't know. The read is that he respects you, yet he called your preflop raise with Q3s and he called the flop with bottom pair and no flush draw. I don't think I could possibly provide a rational analysis.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 AM

I know what you mean Bob. I'm never folding this river. And I'm starting to wonder if it's leak. I can do it when a 3flush hits and a passive check/raises my TPTK or even an overpair, but I just can't fold TPTK on a non-straight/3 flush board even though I KNOW it's no good.

"The pot is big, the pot is big, one more bet, it's just one more bet to win 8 bets, blah, blah, blah, BULLSHIT!"
Old 08-25-2005, 04:54 AM

I believe "respect" here means that they won't try to put any moves on you. They will still call with rags hoping to hit, but they aren't gonna put you to the test without hitting.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 AM

Here's my first thoughts. I didn't put him on KQ but I did put him on a two pair. The reason why I don't think he had KQ is because he would have raised the flop. Even the most passive players would raise KQ specially when they hit TPTK. The only way I suspected the two pair is because he bet into you on the turn. Knowing your opponent, you said he respected your play, there was no other draws on the board either than the two pair or a set.

Here's the question. Since he bet out, would you raise or call? I am leaning towards raising and getting a free showdown. If I get 3bet, I'm calling the turn and hopefully the river card pairs the board. If I don't improve I'm folding. If the board pairs I'm either check-raising or calling it down. The only reason why I said check-raise on the river is because some players even at a 15/30 table is real stupid, some of them can't even read the board thinking their hand is still good. Since I am putting him on a two pair, if I get 3bet I'll have to call it and hopefully my read is precise.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda.....i initally had the post titled "calling when you KNOW you are beat", but I just have a hard time folding TPTK.....also, I think it may be good to show other players that they can't donk you off of a hand....i dunno....

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you want players thinking they can donk you off a hand when they can't? Just cuz it makes sense to fold here doesn't mean you ever have to again. Use your reads.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you want players thinking they can donk you off a hand when they can't? Just cuz it makes sense to fold here doesn't mean you ever have to again. Use your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, he doesn't know what you're laying down. You could have 99 for all he knows.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury 15/30 (9handed)
SB here is a regular. He knows and respects me, and also plays very honestly.

One donker, I raise A K , blinds call, donker calls.

Flop (4 handed)(8SB):K 3 7
checks to me, I bet, SB calls, BB folds, donker calls.

Turn (3 handed)(5.5BB): Q

SB bets, donker folds, gimme a plan folks.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise because he knows you're auto-betting the flop with a pf raising range of AA-99 and AKs-ATs. You're wondering why he didn't c/r the flop and I'm guessing he felt good about his K and didn't mind the BB or donk calling for an A. I'd say a regular, strong player does the Stop-n-go here with KJ, KT and K9 along with KQ. Fold to a 3 bet.