Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Update on \"Weird Poker Festival\"

I've emailed several online rooms about hosting private tournaments in the more esoteric versions of poker. Here's what's up so far:

PokerStars-I can already set up private tournaments in the games they spread. the lowest buy-in is $10+1 and uses typical Stars blind structures.
I want to use Stars for limit omaha high and PL omaha/8. I think they are bad games, but we theoretically could do NL Omaha or NL O/8 if people want.

FullTilt-Easy to request private tournament. I want to run two HORSE tournaments (one to start the series and one to conclude the series). This goes against the non-WSOP theme
I originally had, but would there be interest in Razz?

GamesGrid- Asia K emailed me and they are very willing to work with us. I want to use GamesGrid for NL 2-7 single draw lowball (aka Kansas City Lowball) and for 2-7 triple draw. Also maybe a Dealer's Choice tournament. markgritter, can you let me know what a good blind structure would be for 2-7?

Paradise-Will only set up private tournaments for games they normally run tournaments in. So no draw, 5-stud, or pineapple possible. No Paradise.

UB-Haven't heard from yet, not optimistic. I'm hoping to get A-5 triple draw and/or crazy pineapple.

24h-Passed email on to another department. We could get PL draw, PL stud, PL sökö, and spread limit holdem if they will work with us. I played a spread limit holdem tourney last night (and cashed)-the spread used at 24h is pretty wide and the game plays much like pot-limit holdem. If we get spread limit, then holdem will exist in this festival in HORSE, dealer's choice (if anyone choose it), and spread limit. There will be NO NL holdem in this series.

Planet-Passed email on to another department. Possible limit draw and A-5 single draw.

timprov suggested Chinese Poker at PokerRoom. I haven't talked to PokerRoom about this because: I have never played Chinese Poker and barely understand the scoring, I don't know how to run it in a tourney, and I don't have an account at PokerRoom.

What I need for the potential players is what time you want to play the game. I want to do one tourney/week (with a $10 buy-in or so). Part of me wants to use the same time every week, but I might also rotate the time because if I use the same time, then someone will probably be left out.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Update on \"Weird Poker Festival\"

[ QUOTE ]
markgritter, can you let me know what a good blind structure would be for 2-7?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows? Let's see how the structure I put together for this Thursday works out:

20 minute levels
2000 starting chips

Limits + blinds:
20/40 10/20
30/60 20/30
40/80 20/40
50/100 25/50
100/200 50/100
150/300 100/150
200/400 100/200
300/600 200/300
500/1000 250/500
1000/2000 500/1000
2000/4000 1000/2000
3000/6000 2000/3000
5000/10000 2500/5000
10000/20000 5000/10000
Old 08-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Update on \"Weird Poker Festival\"

CYE Tom, I just heard back from our progs about a bunch of "weird" games you may be interested in for the festival, as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

aK
Old 08-10-2005, 02:24 AM

Default London Lowball

I just read another post about this game. It is PL Razz according to my understanding. I think it could definitely be a fun game to throw in for a tournament as I doubt that anyone has really played it before. I think Games Grid would probably be good at helping us out with something like this. Just a thought.....
Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: London Lowball

My understanding is that London Lowball is razz, but played with an A-6 rather than an A-5 scale. Straights and flushes count against you just like in 2-7, but the ace is low like in A-5. So the nuts is 6432A (not all suited). Also the game is played pot limit rather than limit. I've never played it, but it's covered in Ciaffone & Reubens PL and NL Poker book.

Asia mentioned "English Stud" in an email to me. I don't know if that's London Lowball or something else...

I'm still waiting to hear from some rooms. It looks likely that I will be approaching GamesGrid for several games-they seem far more eager to indulge us in weird games and good tourney structures than just about anyone else.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:26 AM

Oh, you're probably right, I just read about it and thought it sounded like fun (PL Razz) I think Games Grid is going to be your best shot at getting those tournies going. They seem pretty nice.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Asia mentioned "English Stud" in an email to me. I don't know if that's London Lowball or something else...

[/ QUOTE ]

English Stud is Seven Card Stud, but the sixth and seventh cards are done as one card draws instead of deals.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:06 PM

I've heard of an "English Poker" or "English Stud" that was 1-3-1 5-stud, with one more round of betting at the end. Before this last round, each player left could trade in a card. If they tossed in a down card, they get another down card; if they throw in an up card, they get another up card.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:57 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, this was the link the programmers sent me re: Tom's English Stud question: English Stud, pokertips.org

Same as Seven-Card Stud, except:

Players only get 6 cards. Before the sixth card is dealt, each player, starting to the left of the dealer may exchange one card. If they exchange one of their upcards, they get a new upcard, same thing with down cards. After all players have exchanged or stood, they are dealt their sixth card, followed by a betting round. After this betting round, they may exchange another card, followed by one more round of betting, then the showdown. Usually played with limit style betting.

HTH! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Asia K
GamesGrid Poker
Old 08-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Ahh, I knew I wasn't crazy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]