Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Cross Country Flight -- Ear Damage?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I do on aircraft is the valsalva maneuver. You basically pinch your nose and try to blow gently out of your nose. That'll cause your ears to "pop" and equilize easily. When the airplane starts to descend, make sure to do this early and often, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Trust me on this one...as a pilot, I can tell you that this works wonders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chewing gum can also work. After years of SCUBA diving this comes naturally to me, I basically just move my jaw and equalize unconsciously. Sucks when I have a cold and do it by accident and those air passages get stuck open for hours though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that some people are unable to do this. I've never done scuba or anything, but I've always been able to relieve pressure in my ears by moving my jaw and... I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like you're blowing air out your ears. But apparently not that many people know how to do it?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I do on aircraft is the valsalva maneuver. You basically pinch your nose and try to blow gently out of your nose. That'll cause your ears to "pop" and equilize easily. When the airplane starts to descend, make sure to do this early and often, and you shouldn't have any issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

but what can you tell me, as an applebee's waiter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have something else to do with your time than be a complete cockbite? 11,000 posts, you'd expect someone to know how to act.

Jesus Christ dude. You don't piss me off, I'm just amazed that people like you actually exist and are tolerated (well, maybe only on the internet). Go troll another thread.

Actually...y'know what, this just reminded me why I stopped posting here. See you all in another couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

bye bye.... don't come back till you develop a sense of humor. I hope the holiday season is good to you, I hear waiters make good tips around Christmas time.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that some people are unable to do this. I've never done scuba or anything, but I've always been able to relieve pressure in my ears by moving my jaw and... I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like you're blowing air out your ears. But apparently not that many people know how to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same as you, i guess i first realised how to do it while yawning bigtime. I guess its like some ppl can move their ears and stuff if they develop the ability from an early age. (i cant do that)
Old 11-27-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but what can you tell me, as an applebee's waiter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have something else to do with your time than be a complete cockbite? 11,000 posts, you'd expect someone to know how to act.

Jesus Christ dude. You don't piss me off, I'm just amazed that people like you actually exist and are tolerated (well, maybe only on the internet). Go troll another thread.

Actually...y'know what, this just reminded me why I stopped posting here. See you all in another couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-27-2005, 05:23 PM

so i flew across the country this morning. i had some mild congestion and i thought it might be a problem. as we ascended my ears started blocking. i was trying to yawn and move my ears and whatnot to open them up.. to no avail. then all of a sudden.. BAM! it was the weirdest thing. like this huge suction sound SHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWUUUUUUP! and some brief faint pain but then it was all clear! weird.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:23 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 PM

Those ear drops are great for eachaches.

Also ear planes, ear plugs are good too.

My problem was after I landed my ears lobes, right below the opening would feel rock hard.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those ear drops are great for eachaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those ear drops are only great for one thing, and that is making money for a company that thinks its customers are idiots. There is no active ingredient in the product.

They have been cited in the past for violation of federal law. Their product doesn't work (CAN'T work), and they cannot even advertise it for use in earaches without breaking the law. They have to try to weasel-word their way around it in the hopes that dupes will still understand what they are claiming without them having to claim it anymore.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:30 PM

To each his own ... but it works for me every time. And other brands don't.
Active Ingredients (homeopathic)Purpose
Chamomilla HPUS 10x.. .......calmative, pain reliever Mercurius solubilis HPUS 15x...anti-inflammatory, pain
Sulphur HPUS 12x...pain reliever, anti-itch
Inactive Ingredients:Glycerin
Old 11-27-2005, 10:50 PM

If you understood what 15X meant in homeopathic lingo, then you wouldn't have included it in a list of active ingredients. Take one part of substance and 10 parts of water. Shake it up. Take one part of that mixture and dilute it with 10 parts water. Shake it up. Take one part of that mixture and combine it with 10 parts water. Repeat this procedure 15 times. That's 15X. On homeopathic theory, the medicine becomes stronger the more you dilute it. At 24X, there becomes less than a 50% chance that there is any of the original substance left.

Active Ingredients (homeopathic)Purpose
Chamomilla HPUS 10x.. .......separate dupe from cash.
Mercurius solubilis HPUS 15x...separate dupe from cash
Sulphur HPUS 12x...separate dupe from cash