Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Default 5/10 deep AQs hand against a lunatic

Villain is a total maniac, raising preflop every hand, yes every, from 50 - 200. He has stacked a bunch of AK postflop...he 4bet all in with 32o and broke AA (not kidding), and called a 1000 all in with 98o and doubled up AK. In short someone hacked an account or has a total lack of regard for money, he is NUTS. Every pot is expensive and no one really seems to be fighting back, I've dropped about 4k to him but have since gotten a lot of it back. We are developing a mutual respect for each other, me because he has a total lack of regard for money, him because I am the only one that has a stack and can call his $120 open every hand. He seems to bet small in relation to the pot on the flop and turn, bet more on the river, and has showed down everything from 5 high to the nuts and everything in between. Earlier in the night I moved in (2k) on the flop with pair+flush draw and he reluctantly folded after raising huge, I don't know if that will work this time. I have 5k and he covers.

He opens for 60 UTG (means nothing), folded to me and I call with AQs. I call here because he will call 100% of the time with any 2 he opened with and will raise some % of the time with hands that I am both ahead and behind. In short, the preflop edge I may have here seems irrelevant since he is committed to seeing a flop. Does this make sense?

Flop KT6 (giving me nutflushdraw+gutshot)

He bets 60, I make it 200, he makes it 600.

Just an interesting situation, becuase online I'm never used to not getting it all in on the flop with this hand, but with a 5k stack...eh. Does your answer change if he makes it $1000?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 5/10 deep AQs hand

Since he seems to give you action and a 4-bet push probably will be called by anything that beats you and not much worse (would he call a flush draw here, if that's the case, maybe the 4-bet line is pretty good).

It seems like the value of this player being here is that you will be able to stack him with great edge eventually, If you get in on this flop, your edge (if any) will be crappy. I'd call the raise and hope he continues his trend of betting small pricing you in. Hopefully you hit the straight and stack him, or you hit the flush and stack him if he has a lower draw.

If he raises to $1000, It seems easier to push, and I'd vomit because of raising the flop. Becuase of this, I'd consider just calling the flop bet. What's the point of semibluffing here against a maniac unless you're willing to get it all-in as a likely dog or coinflip?

[ QUOTE ]
In short, the preflop edge I may have here seems irrelevant since he is committed to seeing a flop. Does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean that your preflop edge is irrelevant cause he will never fold its nosense, the contrary is true.
If he never folds you should go allin with this hand. If he never folds up to raise to A but then start folding you should certainly raise at least to A.
I think its simple but maybe Iam missing something.

I would go allin on this flop for quite straightforward reasons. Its EV+ whatever he can have here, and calling maybe EV- if he has sth an move in on the blank turn.

Best wishes

Default Re: 5/10 deep AQs hand against a lunatic

i hate reraising here. i call and stack him off.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Also, a more general question. If he is opening every hand for something between 50 - 200, we both have 5k and more often than not he has position on me, which hands are you choosing to call with vs reraise? With position and without position? Pots will almost always be heads up, flop/turn bets will be 1/2 pot or less from him and you have zero folding equity (i.e. no moves, you have to hit a hand and show it down to win - with the exception of making a huge bet in relation to the pot - i.e. all in). I think I got a little carried away in terms of cold calling preflop. I probably dropped at least 2k just seeing flops. Only to have him bet and fold. Just some general comments from people that have experienced this would be nice. It's difficult because his open is equally likely to be AA as it is 32o and he doesn't seem to raise more/less based on hand strength. So it felt like you just have to put 200 in preflop blind, and then just play poker afterwards. I don't know.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:57 AM

i would reraise 66+, AJs+, AQo+ and seeing he's so deep, 67s and the like sometimes.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 PM

What I meant with the preflop comment is that while I am likely ahead, he obviously only calls an all in with a hand that has me killed because we are so deep, but otherwise doesn't mind seeing a flop If I had 1000 I def push. So who cares about 60/40 preflop if the bulk of the money is going in postflop and he betting any flop, whether I hit or miss.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 PM

In general I would not go all in on this flop, even with 100bbs.

In this scenario I probably wouldnt even raise flop. He's betting small so just call and make a hand before you give him a chance to put more money in.

When youre deep against this type of player you should by trying to get his whole stack. Semibluff raises don't win huge pots unless they are called and you hit your hand anyway.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 PM

The pot odds say fold, but implied odds are huge. I would call the extra $400 and hope to hit my hand on the turn. It is very likely that he will continue to push and you will be paid properly when you hit. With implied odds this good I don't think it matters what he bets, you should call. If you miss the turn he might be able to push you out of the hand....do you feel like gambling?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:56 PM

Im not much of a NL player but could you explain the original flop raise?

-SmileyEH