Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Sexual Orientation

I hope you all will remember back to the second Bush-Kerry debate (the one where Bush CLEARLY was better than Kerry as Kerry was in the first debate) when Kerry decided that outing (though many already knew) Cheney's daughter as a lesbian was an appropriate thing to do. Honestly, he has no reason to do this other than to make sure that the base for Cheney and Bush know that Cheney's daughter is a lesbian, something that many people feel would for some reason hurt W and Cheney. Recently, Bill Clinton responded to a gay Republican authors book with comments that referenced his homosexuality and referring to the author as possibly being self hating.

These are two major and public examples of Liberals using someones sexual orientation as an attack. Let's be clear and intellectually honest here, they WERE attacks. So, please provide me with some examples of similar things Republicans have done on the issue of homosexuality. I, for one, cannot think of a case LIKE these.

So, the question is, who is REALLY intolerant? It's not the Conservatives, so who could it be?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Sexual Orientation

I have nothing to add to this thread, although I know where I stand...I just wanted to have it on record that this is gonna get UGLY.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:39 PM

"when Kerry decided that outing (though many already knew) Cheney's daughter as a lesbian" How can he out someone who is not only out, but publicly active? Furthermore, it had already been raised earlier in this campaign. Was it not public knowledge?

I find it odd that some Republicans vehemently attack gays, then have the audacity to be offended when someone discusses a gay relative of a Republican.

"These are two major and public examples of Liberals using someones sexual orientation as an attack." Personally, I find that an odd way to look at it. (I'm not familiar with your second example, so I should say... I think your first example is way off. Kerry is defending the rights of Cheney's daughter and pointing out the hypocrisy of Cheney defending a position he (I think clearly) doesn't actually agree with)

"So, the question is, who is REALLY intolerant? It's not the Conservatives, so who could it be?" Sigh. This is like Limbaugh/Coultier-lite. Yes, let's try to stereotype more and make stupid generalizations. This is real the heart of the issue.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you all will remember back to the second Bush-Kerry debate (the one where Bush CLEARLY was better than Kerry as Kerry was in the first debate)

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. Kerry owned GWB in all three debates.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I find it odd that some Republicans vehemently attack gays, then have the audacity to be offended when someone discusses a gay relative of a Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is your basis for this opinion. Where is the attacking of gays? You support nothing.

You are NOT being honest with yourself if you do not ADMIT that the REASON that Kerry used Cheney's daughter as an example was POLITICAL.

[ QUOTE ]
This is like Limbaugh/Coultier-lite. Yes, let's try to stereotype more and make stupid generalizations. This is real the heart of the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I gave two examples, and you respond with the Limbaugh/Coulter rebuttal. You again provide nothing of substance.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:44 PM

Your post has really opened my eyes. Now I see that the best friend of homosexuals is the Republican Party.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:44 PM

Way to stick to the topic, however, just because you LIKE Kerry doesn't mean he won the second debate. I honestly was IMPRESSED with Kerry's effort in the first debate, but I was MORE IMPRESSED with Bush in the second for 2 major reasons. How poorly he did in the first debate, and how well he did in the FORMAT and under the MATERIAL of the second debate.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:45 PM

"Incorrect. Kerry owned GWB in all three debates." I come from a family of lifelong Republicans who all were embarrassed by Bush. I have trouble taking anyone seriously who thinks too much of Bush, especially in debates. When I'm in the right mood, I watch Bush speak (unscripted, of course) for the laughs. He's such an inarticulate gibberish speaking boob.

It was no surprise to me that the person who started with this gaffe, ended it by wanting to make another meaningless generalization (liberals are intolerant/conservatives are open minded).

This thread was setup to avoid a specific issue. Its a call for empty rhetoric.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post has really opened my eyes. Now I see that the best friend of homosexuals is the Republican Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point that I was trying to make. I was simply attempting to point out the unchecked hypocracy that is displayed day in and day out by prominent Democrats. They answer to know one, they have no one asking them the hard questions.

I simply am trying to show that the party that claims its the "party of tolerance" is anything but.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Default My Favorite Kerry Moment..

When Kerry brought up Cheney's daughter in the debate, his tactic was so obvious and transparent. One of the reporters in the press pool said a collective groan erupted from the press room when Kerry mention Cheney's daughter.... That tactic alone probabaly earned Bush 500,000 votes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]