Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: American Bastard

Not every Canadian resents the US.
The lack of respect goes both ways though.

Yes, Canadians boo the American anthem - it was more pronounced after the Canadian flag was displayed upside down and after an American decided to bomb Canadian soldiers in Afganistan.

Yes, we have idoitic politicians like Carolyn Parrish (who uttered all of the public insults) who get off on bashing an ally and friend to make themselves feel better and look tough. But they are clearly clueless rebels making aname for themselves on their hatred rather than their own accomplishments and the embarrassment she caused led to her being kicked out of the governement caucus.

For the most part, the ill feelings of Canadians do not come from jealousy as you say, but rather their perception of an arrogance on the part of "many" Americans, such as that exhibited in your letter.

Canada has been around as long as the US - perhaps our growth was slowed by our desire to befriend the natives rather than slaughter them wholesale.

Last time I checked, Canada has actually progressed beyond the Stone Age. Wonder how your life in the States may be different without penicilin? Just one of Canada's inventions, much like basketball and the United Nations (a wonderful idea even if it could never work).

Do we design our own cars? Not currently, however Canadian manufacturing plants consistently post a higher productivity level than the US plants.

Has Canada ever liberated countries? Hmmm. Besides Belgium in WWII? Oh, I forgot - Canada was fighting WWII for 2 years before the US got its head out of the sand and helped. I guess the fact that Canada took more causalties in that war then the US did with 10% of the population(20% of the population were in uniform) means nothing according to you, a war vet yourself. Maybe the inability of the US to trade fairly with Canada is a factor in Canada's economic problems- softwood lumber is among a half dozen WTO cases the US has lost and still won't abide by.

Should Canada do more to defend North America? Absolutely.
Does that mean Canada doesa nothing? No. Canada chooses to use its resources in peacekeeping missions and foreign aid. Choosing to use its influence peacefully rather than militarily is not so wrong as to be as laughable as you suggest.

Many people would argue the need for a superpower that you say is necessary. A lot of people, including many Americans, don't want the US acting as a global policeman.
I'm not sure why it is not acceptable to think that perhaps everyone affacted by a global situation can not get together to solve the issue rather than it being the American way or no way.

I would submit to you that much of the bad feelings SOME Canadians have for Americans come from the attitude you clearly demonstrate - a total lack of understanding and interest in Canada and an attitude that the American way is the only way. From what I see, people in Canada work as hard for what they think is right

It's too bad that it comes from soneone who should know better.

These attitudes on both sides really do no good and will only harm both countries in the future. Maybe you should take a look and see that by pounding your patriotic chest and denouncing any other way of looking at things and belittling others, you are acting the exact same way as the Canadian whiners.

Do "we're #1" fanatic rants really help anything?