Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which cover do you prefer?
Original 15 13.16%
Nagoo81's version 57 50.00%
hukilai's version 42 36.84%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: HU NL Tourny

i had to pick harrington, because while i respect him a great deal for his WSOP success, im not so certain he is nearly the same caliber of player that the others are. i almost chose hellmuth tho, simply because he wouldnt want get his money in as a 60/40 favorite against a random. however, blind structure is certainly important. if you started with 5k in chips with blinds of 1/2 i would definitely pick to play against harrington. with stacks of 100 and 1/2 blinds i would pick hellmuth.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:24 PM

17 so far for Mr. Hellmuth and I'm disappointed. Forget how much you don't like him. Forget how much you want to see him cry. I think it's time to stop being lemmings and start thinking for yourself. It seems popular opinion (at least the stuff that people are not keeping to themselves) is that Phil Hellmuth is this and that and a baby and sucks at poker. Many of you hear this and just start reapeating it. Why? Maybe you think it's cool. Maybe you lack the ability to think for yourself. Maybe you just believe everything you hear. Everytime I see these comments I just shake my head. No one even bothers to think about how good Mr. Hellmuth is before clicking his name.

The guy only has 9 WSOP titles (tied for first all time). All of the titles are in hold'em (limil, no-limit, pot limit). No one else in the world has 9 hold'em titles in the WSOP. He has made tons of final tables and has many other hold'em titles outside the WSOP. You don't win 9 WSOP hold'em titles without knowing how to play short handed and HU. This I beleive should give him recognition as the greatest tournament hold'em player in the world. Mr. Hellmuth and a couple others should be the last ones on the list to play.

I'm not saying I like him. I'm not saying he doesn't act very unprofessional. I'm not saying you have to like him. You're entitled to your opinion and I mine. Just think about it a little. Do you realy want to play HU NL hold'em for 1 million against the greatest hold'em player the WSOP has ever seen?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im not so certain he is nearly the same caliber of player that the others are.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is cultivating an image that allows thinking like this that makes Harrington one of the best in the world.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:53 PM

Cloutier, Negreanu, Hellmuth, and Harrington are probably all somewhat weak. Since Cloutier and Hellmuth are tourney pros, I have to go with them.

Hellmuth's steam control is pretty lousy, and I think my best shot would be to get a pro on tilt.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:42 PM

I voted D.Harrington, can I make a deal with the pro?. Harrington seems the weakest of all those pros( he still owes me!) i hardly think it makes a difference although...the game would come down to a pro with something like a 2-1 adavantage over me.I would defenetly push preflop with ANY pair, ANY ace, maybe k9s or higher. Of course im supposing we both start with 50x the bb. Im not sure u mentioned the game...if i had to choose a game defenetly razz against harrington.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:38 AM

I voted Harrington. It isn't because he is weak, because he isn't. Its just that someone with that tight of a style is at a disadvantage in heads-up. I think Raymer said that by the time he got to the final table, he thought that Arieh was far more dangerous than Dan because he was more imaginative. Its hard to adjust to heads up when you play a crazy tight style like Harrington. So definitely Harrington, and definitely NOT Negreanu or Ivey.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted Harrington. It isn't because he is weak, because he isn't. Its just that someone with that tight of a style is at a disadvantage in heads-up. I think Raymer said that by the time he got to the final table, he thought that Arieh was far more dangerous than Dan because he was more imaginative. Its hard to adjust to heads up when you play a crazy tight style like Harrington. So definitely Harrington, and definitely NOT Negreanu or Ivey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I read something like this, I picture Harrington coming over the top of a raise at the final table with 62o, causing David Williams to lay down AQ. It makes me chuckle.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 AM

doesn't matter. i would beat them all.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:45 AM

I wish Phil Gordan was on this list. Remember how he blew it with that "amatuer" at the Aruba WPT?

- Jason
Old 12-23-2004, 12:20 PM

it has got to be Helmuth. only because his game has been exposed AND he will TILT!

cya,