Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Lie Detector For Catholics.

[ QUOTE ]
If used properly any and all religions can greatly enhance ones life. For example, if I truly believed that I was going to Heaven and that Jesus was coming to right all wrongs and rule an Empire of Peace for 1000 years then I'd be as serene as the blue sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

The operative word is "properly" for one, secondly, as long as it doesn't infringe on my available freedom, and, thirdly, as long as it does not try to refute rationality and thereby stymie the progress of mankind.

I hope we agree here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If used properly any and all religions can greatly enhance ones life. For example, if I truly believed that I was going to Heaven and that Jesus was coming to right all wrongs and rule an Empire of Peace for 1000 years then I'd be as serene as the blue sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The operative word is "properly" for one, secondly, as long as it doesn't infringe on my available freedom, and, thirdly, as long as it does not try to refute rationality and thereby stymie the progress of mankind.

I hope we agree here

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, anyone who did truly believe in Heaven for believers and Jesus ruling from Jurasalem couldn't be angry or fearful of anything. They would simply preach their faith to any and all, go to work, raise their kids, and love life in general. How could someone without a fear in the world and nothing but joy in their hearts bother with organizing protest rallys or even going to the voting booth? All that stuff would seem irrelevant to a True Believer.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heres a thought, I don't think that Bigdaddy truly believes in the resurrection 100% Everone whom I've encountered that believes 100% in the bilble word for word looks at me like I'm crazy when I explain my objections. They either quote the bible to prove the bible or they honestly think that I'd believe the sky was purple if enough scientist said it to be true. (not an actually quote but pretty good, eh)

My point is that true believes can't possibly be open minded enough to accept that others are reasonable for having objections. If they were then they'd begin exploring those objections and reason would eventually prevail. So Bigdaddy, if you want to maintain your faith, I suggest you stop thinking about it before you loose it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my quote and if you compare it to my previous post in this thread you can clearly see how confused I am. At one turn, I say that Christians who truly believe in the bible 100% (my term was true believers) would be blissful beyond caring about mundane things like politics. And the next turn, I say that those people who think you can't see your nose from your face for not believing in the bible are the only true believers.

So if I had to choose between my two opinions, I would choose the opinion in this thread. Those people who believe that non-Christians are deluded don't truly believe in the bible. They may desperately want to, but the shoe their wearing doesn't exactly fit. lol -- they're shoving their foot in there and insisting that it fits and when someone says 'look you see, clearly you should get a new shoe' they get indignant and quote 'though thy shoe be too small thy foot it do fittith.' then admonish you for not seeing the obvious.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 AM

No posting while multi-tabling.