Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Lie Detector For Catholics.

Good question.

One problem, and maybe I'm missing the point, is that Catholics of different theological hues understand the doctrine in radically different ways but all profess to believe in the "real presence."

I believe in the real presence in the Eucharist. But I'd be very interested to see what a lie detector would say if you plugged me into it and asked me that. I believe I'm telling the truth if that makes any difference.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM

hi, i certainly do not think i'm the former and i know i am not the latter......................b
Old 11-04-2005, 05:35 PM

that's pretty heavy stuff, isn't it?................b
Old 11-04-2005, 05:40 PM

hi---don't i both comment that the forum subject is too complex for me, and tell the folks how much i admire the fact that they are able to do that sort of thing? i don't know, but cheap-shots from among the cream of the posters...................kinda strange..............b
Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM

perhaps, (no, actually it's a fact) you have no idea why i post my 'marks' the way i do. i have told the story to several 2+2'ers with whom i correspond---no need for a public airing.................b
Old 11-04-2005, 05:47 PM

do you consider 'something of value' being spoon-fed? if so we had different teachers..............b
Old 11-04-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps, (no, actually it's a fact) you have no idea why i post my 'marks' the way i do. i have told the story to several 2+2'ers with whom i correspond---no need for a public airing.................b

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have no idea. All I'm saying is that posters do not make a good impression on me when they fail to use proper capitalization and at least a semblence of proper punctuation. Since I'm sure it isn't one of your life's ambitions to impress me, you shouldn't let this trouble you.

Best wishes.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've stated half jokingly that I believe that Catholics are less nuts than Protestants. Obvious reasons being their willingness to accept evolution and their willingness to accept that good non Christians can escape hell.

Others have stated that they are more nuts because of some of their silly beliefs like transubstantiation if I spelled it right.

My guess is that this paradox is resolved by the fact that most Catholics don't actually truly believe it. Social pressure makes them say otherwise. Wonder what percentage of American Catholics would pass a lie detector test that asked them if they were almost positive that transubstantiation is true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Social pressure for American Cathlics today is neglible. Maybe not seeing prominent public figures who claim to be Catholic openly opposing core Church teachings (e.g. John Kerry on abortion) would lead me to think otherwise.

I surmise many Catholics like myself who've forged their faith in Christ's true Eucharistic presence through years of attending Mass and Eucharistic Adoration would easily pass this test. (For the Catholic N00bs, Eucharistic Adoration involves exposing the consecrated hosts to the Faithful for the purposes of quiet prayer.) Most who regularly pray to the Eucharistic Lord can attest to the warm feeling in their hearts and spiritual intimacy they feel with God. Two of the happiest moments in my life, my First Holy Communion and my wedding, involved the Eucharist (the honor of busting out of the 2005 WSOP ME at Sklansky's table is a close third [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) While in Iraq, I served as a Eucharistic Minister and kept a pyx w/Eucharist attached to my body armor. It's surreal that, even with IEDs blowing up in my face and RPGs flying over head, that I could fear nothing with God literally at my side. So for me the question of true Eucharistic presence is little more than an afterthought since it's been an essential part of my whole life.

For the casual Catholic who makes Mass twice a year at Easter and Christmas and maybe attends a wedding/funeral or two, it's hard to have the same confidence in their beliefs.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:17 AM

Once more I have to agree with Bigdaddydvo. I am sure that the whole of what Bigdaddydvo says is apparently true to him and he would not fail a lie detector test, since, in my understanding, it detects internal inconsistencies rather the trueness of the facts.

In fact it precisely this belief, or suspension or rationality allowing inconsistencies, that I deplore in all theists. It think it is nefarious for the well-being and happiness of man.

OTOH, lets talk about a deeply totemist in a very "primitive" culture. He believes that his gris-gris (talismanic object) is efficacious and will protect him, even from bullets. I have no doubts that he would also pass the lie detector test with flying colours when being asked if it was so.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact it precisely this belief, or suspension or rationality allowing inconsistencies, that I deplore in all theists. It think it is nefarious for the well-being and happiness of man.

[/ QUOTE ]

If used properly any and all religions can greatly enhance ones life. For example, if I truly believed that I was going to Heaven and that Jesus was coming to right all wrongs and rule an Empire of Peace for 1000 years then I'd be as serene as the blue sky.