Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: A \"Swings\" Discussion

I play more hands than usual to snap out of the downswing quicker (in terms of time).
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 AM

I drop the number of tables I am playing. If you dont multi-table... well...

One of the things I do when I start on a downer, is to get up take a walk, fix some food, whatever, just stop playing for an hour or so.

Come back refreshed and CONSINTRATE like a mother humper on a single table. Watch closely each and every hand, work on your hand reading skills, meta game skills, look for betting paterns, patterns in players in general.

I generally am doing all of the above at a more or less automatic mode, curse control mode under normal circumstances, but when I start dropping buy-ins, I know something is up and it is time to wake up and go back to the fundimentals.

Then there are down swings where you are just getting the [censored] kicked out of you by the cards and donks. Nothing you can really do here, they are just bad beats and you have to deal with it. Rather you can look back on a bad beat or two and be happy with your play or not will tell you if you need to work on something or it was really just the way the cards fell that day.

If you are dropping buy-ins on a consistant basis, time to examine your game and your head. Are you playing scared? Are you getting pissed and blowing it? Are you just blowing it? Are the other players picking up on this and killing you for it? I love to pick on people that are "running bad", I got a guy to lay down KK preflop this weekend because he was running bad and I push his buttons.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love to pick on people that are "running bad", I got a guy to lay down KK preflop this weekend because he was running bad and I push his buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thought I'd like to chime in with a General Surgeon Warning that trying to push people off their big pocket pairs preflop is the leading cause of bankroll cancer...

Garland
Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose its a silly thing to reply to but moving up in limits to get back to positive for the day is a generic addicted gambler thing to do right? You aren't suggesting that that is actually a good idea right?

[/ QUOTE ]I threw in a haha so you know it's a bad idea...yeah it's classic gambling problem =)
Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you handle the swings?

[/ QUOTE ]
TIIILT!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I drop down in limits usually (haha or move up in limits too, if I'm trying to book a win for the day)

[/ QUOTE ]

sik bastard. to the OP; what stakes do you play live, and what stakes do you play online? I'd guess that you are simply not good enough for the online games you are playing.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 AM

isnt it quite the opposite? People with KK during a bad day are less likely to make the fold preflop. "...It cant be aces again"
Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM

I normally play 2-5 NL live (between 300 and 500 max buyin) and have been teetering between 400NL and 600NL online... But mostly been stickin to 400NL... I watched for a long time to see which level played simlar to my live strategy and it seemed that 400 was the best bet for now...

Is that wrong compared to my live game limits?

I appreciate all the help guys...
Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I normally play 2-5 NL live (between 300 and 500 max buyin) and have been teetering between 400NL and 600NL online... But mostly been stickin to 400NL... I watched for a long time to see which level played simlar to my live strategy and it seemed that 400 was the best bet for now...

Is that wrong compared to my live game limits?

I appreciate all the help guys...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you play 400/600 NL?

From my experience 2/5 live is pretty juicy. Most of the male tourists who are a husband/father and make less than 100k a year usually will play 2/5. Easy pickings there.

The regulars in 400NL on party are mostly nits from my experience. There is the occasional fish or maniac but for the most part the pots are small and you have to have two pretty big hands to get a lot into the pot.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:52 PM

I still havent figured it out. I think the biggest thing I do when I'm on a downswing is replay my hands and looks at my HH and make sure its not me. A downswing can be even worse if you loose confidence in your game...