Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Default AA against a tricky player

$1/$2 NL

I open raise to $8 with AA.. Only the BB calls. He has $100.

Hes very tricky but hes a slightly losing player over 1000 hands because he calls too many raises with all kinds of hands. He calls almost all of my raises for some reason. Its gotten to the point that I asked him why he does it. It just so happened that I raised the very next hand and he called again. That was a few days ago.

Pot is $17. Flop comes T73 rainbow. He checks, I bet $12 and he calls.
Pot is $41. The turn is a Q and he leads for $8. Theres no way to put this guy on a hand. He could have anything from QTs to 33 to KQ to 98
Whats your play? He has $72 left and I have him covered.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: AA against a tricky player

I re-raise and put him all in.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: AA against a tricky player

[ QUOTE ]
$1/$2 NL

I open raise to $8 with AA.. Only the BB calls. He has $100.

Hes very tricky but hes a slightly losing player over 1000 hands because he calls too many raises with all kinds of hands. He calls almost all of my raises for some reason. Its gotten to the point that I asked him why he does it. It just so happened that I raised the very next hand and he called again. That was a few days ago.

Pot is $17. Flop comes T73 rainbow. He checks, I bet $12 and he calls.
Pot is $41. The turn is a Q and he leads for $8. Theres no way to put this guy on a hand. He could have anything from QTs to 33 to KQ to 98
Whats your play? He has $72 left and I have him covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the 200NL but at 100NL this kind of bet tends to mean one of two ( contradictory ) things; either he has a decent hand ( two pair, set, etc ) and wants a raise from you OR he just got a decent draw and is trying to control the betting, he would be willing to call like $8 or $16 but not the $30 or more you are likely to throw out there.

So the question boils down to: do you know if he is the small bet wanting a raise or the blocking bet kind of player?

Also is the Q of a suit matching the board? If it is I wouldn't be at all suprised to see KJs of that suit making this play. If it isn't I figure he has AQ/KQ and is probably over playing it. I don't think a player who is so intent on outplaying you is betting $8 here with a set or two pair, he is going to check for the so-typical turn C/R play.