Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: KQo - TP on monotone flop facing turn action

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I'm going to really stress this point -- I love raising KQo from EP. Much more than AJo, which is the breaking point for most people on raise/call/fold and often gets discussed in the same breath. KQo is much easier to play from the flop on than AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to prefer KQo to AJo, but I changed my mind when I moved up to 5/10 and my EP preflop raises began frequently getting me heads-up with the BB.

Now I like the extra showdown value of AJo.

And, to be honest, I'm not crazy about either hand anymore, if the action behind me doesn't fold to the blinds. It's not much fun playing OOP against a cold-caller or 3-bettor who's got a better hand (or at least a hand like 66 that you're chasing).

All the same, I continue raising AJo and KQo in EP.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i WILL DEFINATELY raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet. HE donkbets on a non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn. that could mean a baby flush some of the time but i think its a weak made hand even more of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flop had been checked through, then I agree that a turn lead is much more likely to represent a weak made hand. But since SB checked the flop and I led the flop betting, his sudden turn lead into the flop better strikes me as more likely to represent a real hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised SB's turn donkbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta or fold it.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 PM

I would fold / raise preflop, probably 80/20. KQs is more like call / raise 20/80.

I agree completely with raise turn, fold to a 3-bet. I think this is the best play, that way you charge a weaker made hand / drawing hand but can fold to a made flush.

True
Old 12-06-2005, 01:36 PM

I don't see why you are just calling the turn bet. If you think you are ahead, you have to raise to protect. If you think are behind, nothing but a fold makes sense.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i WILL DEFINATELY raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet. HE donkbets on a non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100% with this line. I don't think there is any other way to play it. (Beside raising preflop, though the limp is not terrible.)

[ QUOTE ]
that could mean a baby flush some of the time ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a little confused by this though. I think a made flush either bets or checkraises... though people do some pretty dumb things sometimes.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i WILL DEFINATELY raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet. HE donkbets on a non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100% with this line. I don't think there is any other way to play it. (Beside raising preflop, though the limp is not terrible.)

[ QUOTE ]
that could mean a baby flush some of the time ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a little confused by this though. I think a made flush either bets or checkraises... though people do some pretty dumb things sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jennifer Harmon in Super System 2 says that in Limit Poker the better play against good opponents is to only show aggression on the turn when you hold a low flush as your equity is hugely increased when the board doesn't become four flush.

True
Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jennifer Harmon in Super System 2 says that in Limit Poker the better play against good opponents is to only show aggression on the turn when you hold a low flush as your equity is hugely increased when the board doesn't become four flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this is the case here.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:26 PM

That's a really good point. During the hand, the little voice inside me screamed "FLUSH" when SB bet. But I didn't think I had enough info to fold, especially since it's possible I'm up against a King-rag. However, if I call a turn bet, I am setting myself up to call a river bet if a harmless card falls. So, it's going to cost at least two bets to see a show down. If I raise the turn, and I am still facing a lot of action, then I can fold easily (or alternately, if my turn raise is called, it's possible that a baby flush will check this river).

So, in either case (call turn / raise turn) I am setting myself up to invest two bets, but the raise option defines my hand much better. In this case, I happened to get "lucky" that MP3's donk raise saved me a bet.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Harmon's chapter in general, but that is beside the point here. There are several things that play in here, most notably relative position -- you want to be able face a hand that could potentially beat (like T ot J of that suit) you with cold calling if possible. Sometimes you can't. Even against good players (which we are probably not facing here given the preflop action) it very often correct just to take the equity edge on the flop and ram and jam a baby flush, as they will often be getting the odds to call down a single donk anyhow.