Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2003, 01:20 AM

Default First U.S. prosecution for online gambling

Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I hadn't seen anything about it:

North Dakota prosecutes a man for gambling on the Internet

The funny thing is, when he found out it was illegal in North Dakota, he upped and moved to Kentucky.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:31 AM

Default Re: First U.S. prosecution for online gambling

I searched 2+2 on the term "North Dakota" and found that the story was discussed last month:

Post by C M Burns about North Dakota prosecution for online gambling
Old 10-18-2003, 09:33 AM

Wow, that's freaking ridiculous. I live in Tennessee (and gambling is illegal here), and recently posted a question on the Internet forum about filing taxes in the Internet forum. I am a law abiding citizen and pay my taxes every year etc. etc. etc., but if there was ever an excuse NOT to pay the tax man, this would be it.

I was told by a former F.B.I. agent that anything I report to the IRS will not be shared with the part of the government that prosecutes this sort of thing, so I don't have anything to worry about. Apparently he was wrong.

As you all know, Chis Moneymaker is from Tennessee and won an online tournament to qualify for the WSOP this year. I figured if govt. wanted to set an example, they'd do it with him... Apparently Joe Schmoe from North Dakota is better.

-Brian
Old 10-18-2003, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told by a former F.B.I. agent that anything I report to the IRS will not be shared with the part of the government that prosecutes this sort of thing, so I don't have anything to worry about. Apparently he was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really doubt that the IRS saw this guy's tax return and said, "we better report this to the North Dakota D.A.". On the other hand I suppose it's possible that his state tax return got him in trouble.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:37 PM

Scary stuff. North Dakota can lap the bag.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:23 PM

This man was prosecuted for online sports wagering. North Dakota law states that any bet over $25 is an infraction and any bet over $500 is a misdemeanor. As long as your not playing 30/60 online, you'll be fine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This man was prosecuted for online sports wagering. North Dakota law states that any bet over $25 is an infraction and any bet over $500 is a misdemeanor. As long as your not playing 30/60 online, you'll be fine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

One minor point you forgot to add. When playing $15-30 you are ok as long as you always check/fold on the turn and river.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One minor point you forgot to add. When playing $15-30 you are ok as long as you always check/fold on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol! Maybe you should write a book titled Holdem For Avanced North Dakota Players. Some adjustments would be necessary depending on whether the game consisted of players all from N.D. or a mix (more common). For the pure N.D. game, I see a lot of bets going in pre-flop hoping to wreck the implied odds (remember if you hit your small set or draw, you wont pick up much after the flop - except a citation if you bet).

Old 10-24-2003, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. If someone bets into you on the flop and you raise, is that a $30 bet or 2 $15 bets? Any North Dakota lawyers know the answer? If a raise counts as a single bet, anything higher than 6/12 could be a problem.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:33 PM

Separate bets. To consider "calling a bet" and "adding a raise" one bet is a strained interpretation. Commonly, a player will announce his raise by saying, "two bets" or "three bets", etc.