Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Thanks again for your support

Shouldn't this post be pinned on the top for a few days?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:36 PM

Greg - you have established yourself as a true champion, both in terms of quality of play and quality of character.

-ptmusic
Old 07-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Good Job! Greg
Old 07-16-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then opponent will just move all in on the flop and get better odds with two cards to come. By moving on the turn
he is clearly taking much more the worse of it.

Way to go Greg. Thanks for the post.

I was proud of you about how you protected your family. While this was going on I had a run in with my neighbor and
I threatened to kill him after he went after my 9 year old
son. Unfortunately for me I had to answer to the police.
Don't f-ck with my family.

Great job!

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponent is going to move in on a flop of 467 1 heart with QJh?

Uh, no, I don't think so.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM

A lot of young players might mistakenly think that trash-talking and belittling other players is just part of being a winning player. Thanks for showing by your example that you can win with class and respect for your opponents. Congrats again Greg on a great tournament.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good read. Congrats again. You are the classiest poker player of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2005, 02:16 AM

hey, Greg...I'm one of the guys with a camera crew who kept stopping you on your breaks and asking for a couple of minutes of your time! We're the ones from The Players Network.

Seriously, congrats on such a great tournament and thank you for always being a gentleman when confronted by the media. I've never seen a "non-celeb" handle instant fame as well as you have over the past year.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Farbeit for me to question your tactics, but here goes; Only a 100k standard raise at 20-40-5? A standard pot-sized raise I'm guessing would be 185k if 9 handed, doesn't 100 just give WAY too much in odds? Or do you like to underraise that severly to foster action? I understand changing it up, but this really is effectively even smaller than a miniraise, and you said it was your standard raise. Since I have the awesome power of 20/20 hindsight, lets say you make a more in-line raise of 175k, when you bet half the pot on the flop, (if he calls PF, which he likely would.), you're betting about 225 now, then if he takes one off to bluff, your turn bet is now 450, and he now has 225k less force with which he thinks he can get you to lay down, should you even play it as such. Not trying to second guess everything, cuz obviously that could be done to death, but it just seems to me that raise size has such a snowball effect that it would make it hard to really protect your hand if used consistantly.

Daliman.
478th in $1500 PL Hold'em, Event #2

REKONIZE!

[/ QUOTE ]

2.5 BB's seemed to be the standard open raise for blind steals that Matusow used, and Black if I remember correctly...i think he was probably trying to conceal his hand by betting his normal amount...and as he was first in the pot probably wanted to make this look weak/stealish.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 AM

Hi Greg:

We were all rooting for you and I thought you had a great chance to do it again, but things didn't quite work out.

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
As for Mike, well, there is some history there. ;-) I do think Mike is a very talented poker player, and is also very entertaining to watch or play poker with. However, I think it would probably not be good for the game if he won this title. I do not want the young kids who are taking up the game, and who will be joining me at the tables when they turn 21 to think that trash-talking and ranting are the way it should be. I truly do not dislike Mike at all, I just think he needs more impulse control, and I do not want him to be the role model for all the young players entering the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. I know Mike, not real well, but I do know him, and like him as a person and agree that he is a terrific player in both the tourneys as well as the side games. However, he does have his moments, and I suspect that there are times he regrets what happens, and of course the TV shows tend to emphasize some of the antics out of proportion.

Hope to see you the next time you're in town.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-17-2005, 07:41 AM

Congratulations on a great run, and best wishes for your future success.

In a game that is becoming proliferated with obnoxious and juvenile behavior, your demeanor of "acting like you've been there before" is sorely needed and greatly appreciated.