Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Can I bet this river?

2/4 NL on Pokerroom... in MP with 800, villain is UTG with 600. Villain calls, I call with A9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], folded to BB who checks.

Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG bets out 16, I call, BB calls.

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets 40, I raise to 100, villain calls.

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I check behind. Villain shows K10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Is there any way I can bet this river? My thought process was a small value bet is crying out for a raise to try and take it down. Does the call on the turn indicate that it isnt a set and he would be raising otherwise?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Can I bet this river?

You need to raise that flop - UTG limper could have a set here - you should not be slowplaying flushes in this spot (or really ever) - in this hand you obviously get all the money this way - in other hands you either shut out the set to avoid difficult situations later or get your money in when you are ahead - if he doesn't have a set or made flush (which is rare as how many spade hands are limping UTG when you hold the Ace) then he's not putting in any more money anyway.

Betting the river is a read thing - but I'm usually checking behind.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Can I bet this river?

Thanks for the advice, it was just hard to put him on a made flush when he was UTG and I held the Ace. Definitely could have drawn more out on the flop.