Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 11:03 AM

Default tight game, I\'m passive

Playing in a pretty tight 5-10 game. I have a $1100 to start. relevant opponents have me covered.

I limp EP w/ AdJd. tight MP raises to $50. tight LP cold calls. I call (pretty questionable call, but I had good relative position to raiser and was hoping to flop big or get out).

Flop is Td7d4s.

pot ($160) I check. MP bets $80. LP calls $80. I call.

Turn 7h.

pot ($400). I check, MP bets $175, LP calls $175. I call?

River Kd

pot ($925). I have about $800 left - action?

All comments appreciated on all streets. All are debateable - not too pleased with this hand.

Reads: MP did his continuation bet, so could have anything, but probably not AA or TT (I think he would have bet more). LP cold calling then calling the flop made me think JJ-QQ most likely, maybe TT.

On the turn I couldn't figure out if one of them was sucking me in or were scared.

I also wasn't sure that an aggrerssive move would have forced a fold if one (both) had overpairs or TT.

What should I do on the river given those reads?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: tight game, I\'m passive

tough hand, but ill take a stab

On the turn, I think a call is ok given the odds your getting, but I would still consider folding here if I wasn't sure where I was going to be when I hit my flush.

River, I like a blocking bet of ~$300 here, if your raised all-in, your in a tough position, but folding is probably best.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:27 PM

I don't play this high but...

I don't think you can afford to fear the boat so get the money in. options:
1)present a bluff by pushing all-in oop. smaller flush will call. trips may call.(I know trips not likely as tight table but you may be in a situation where your huge hand wont get action unless it's 2nd best, still I will take a shot at making some more money from my nut flush here)
2)value bet 400. smaller flush may push. trips more likely to call. overpair not at all likely imo.
3)nurture your passivity by risking it being checked around and check raise pretty much all in all the time. Mp could have AK and bet that river light but he wont call an all in so maybe a size check raise instead of all in.
4)given your reads I don't see how you will get money from JJ or QQ any which way and AA isn't a likely caller either.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm not feeling great about this hand if I'm you.

You're only hope is that MP has JJ AND LP has QQ. That's the only way I see the betting occurring as it did and you winning.

I think if either had AA or KK they throw in a raise somewhere to price out the flush draw.

The only reason to not price out the flush is if one of them already has a boat.

In sum, I doubt a river bet gets called by any hand you are beating so I would check.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Why no flop check-raise?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 PM

I thought about check-raising all-in on the flop but chickened out because it was a bit of an overbet and it was against two players, one of which for sure could have had top set. I knew there was at least one overpair in there as well (although if it isn't AA or TT, it's close to 50/50 for me). I also didn't want to put in a normal check-raise, as that screws me on the turn. I'm a sucker for odds as well when I'm getting them and I'm pretty sure I'm beat... Also, being multi-way, I was hoping they would chicken out on the turn if they only had overpairs.

How close is this? I'm not sure - that's what went through my head in the heat of battle though. Looking back, I'm still not sure - is this an obvious CR overbet?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How close is this? I'm not sure - that's what went through my head in the heat of battle though. Looking back, I'm still not sure - is this an obvious CR overbet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I wouldn't with this hand.

If I have AdKd I would, two opponents or not. I like having those extra 3 outs if I happen to be up against JJ or QQ here.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:38 PM

right - I agree with this. If I have AdKd, I would be much more inclined to get the money in there.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:22 PM

Do you think opponent will call a check-raise with overpair? With your stack when I check-raise I'm hoping they will lay down. It's pretty transparent for me though since I rarely check-raise my sets, so it would be easy for opponents to put me on a draw... You are also forgetting he could have fired with a missed AK...the worrying part is the limper, but he could just be playing at the raiser with something like 99...know what I'm saying? Are you willing to check-raise if you had something like 8d9d?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM

yeah - 8d9d is similar to AdKd... I really do like a big CR here as I do this with sets as well on a drawy board against an assumed overpair - but getting those odds just made me "play it safe". Anyone else think this is a good spot for a big CR?