Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 AM

Default is there a simple explanation?

Just out of curiousity, i can analyze play like a pro, know the right plays and right moves, but put me in the damn situation and i'll make a bonehead play that makes no sense that after the hand i can only sit back and say wtf was i thinking. lol...might sound stupid...but am i just not thinking everything through like i should in situations?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: is there a simple explanation?

[ QUOTE ]
i can analyze play like a pro, know the right plays and right moves,

[/ QUOTE ]

what makes you confident in this statement?

fim
Old 08-28-2005, 12:55 AM

Well i guess discussions with winning players and them agreeing with statements etc.....i'm by no means a professional, otherwise i wouldn't be asking for help. I'm just having a tough time understanding why for one...if i'm not playing and watching, i'll do things one way and when i'm playing i'll do them another. it's honestly holding me back from winning a good perecentage of the time.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well i guess discussions with winning players and them agreeing with statements etc.....i'm by no means a professional, otherwise i wouldn't be asking for help. I'm just having a tough time understanding why for one...if i'm not playing and watching, i'll do things one way and when i'm playing i'll do them another. it's honestly holding me back from winning a good perecentage of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you discuss hands with high stakes winning professional players and inevitably come up with identical analyses?

fim
Old 08-28-2005, 01:19 AM

Okay, maybe it's not coming across correctly because this seems to be getting confusing. Let's say i feel i made the right play...and discuss it with a winning professional who's opinion i trust....he shows me where i went wrong persay in the situation. Maybe next time i'm playing a similar situation arises whereas instead of going with the other opinion, i resort back to the same inevitable incorrect play, hence lose. Then afterwards kinda like...damn...why didn't i do what we had discussed. Just kinda feel like i'm learning and growing, but mentally only...like it's not carrying over into my game.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Mason should start charging money for registration. This is getting annoying.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe next time i'm playing a similar situation arises whereas instead of going with the other opinion, i resort back to the same inevitable incorrect play, hence lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop doing this, and the rest should fall right into place.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:24 AM

Drop down in limits. Because you can carry on a conversation with someone of great poker skill does not mean you belong in his game.

If you're confused, the game (level) is too tough.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:50 AM

I think I know what you are getting at. You can think through a hand clearly when you are not in the heat of the moment, but during the hand, your mind goes blank and you act without much proper thought. Its kinda like stage fright. You might be playing out of your comfort zone. Try slowing down, forcing yourself to take longer when making decisions in a hand.

You will probably get more constructive replies if you post this in the Pyschology Forum.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 AM

Hm, somehow this question doesn't seem so hard to understand, yet I think it belongs in the psychology forum.

Is this a correct translation of your question?:

"How come I often play worse than I think I'm capable of?"

or if you phrase it like this, the answer might become clear:

"Why can't I analyze a situation at the table as accurately as I can when I have more time, less pressure and less emotional involvement; and then act upon it?"

Am I close?