Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Shark or Donk? Preferred image?

shark, action is for people playing within their bankroll
Old 11-29-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be loud and obnoxious to encourage action. You want respect at a table.

[/ QUOTE ]
... what?

[ QUOTE ]
You want to make a great call against a loose aggresive player and a great bluff against a tight player. It's easier to read a player when you know they're adjusting their game to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this have to do with regulating my image?

[ QUOTE ]
PS: I mean, youre talking about making acting a certain way to encourage your opponents to make a bad call/bluff/fold/etc. TELLS TELLS TELLS. That's all you're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]
... right. And that's what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be loud and obnoxious to encourage action. You want respect at a table.
... what?

[/ QUOTE ]

sarcasm

[ QUOTE ]
You want to make a great call against a loose aggresive player and a great bluff against a tight player. It's easier to read a player when you know they're adjusting their game to you.
What does this have to do with regulating my image?

[/ QUOTE ]

You show the hands, thus your image.

[ QUOTE ]
PS: I mean, youre talking about acting a certain way to encourage your opponents to make a bad call/bluff/fold/etc. TELLS TELLS TELLS. That's all you're doing.
... right. And that's what I'm trying to avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it then.

How do you adjust your image without showing your hands? ACTING. All you're doing is giving off tells. There is no way around it. If you want to try and look loose, without giving off tells or showing hands, Caro would suggest having a messy chip stack, and be flamboyant with your buy ins. Good luck with that.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:38 PM

Default HOLLLLEEEERRRR

I try to emulate the play style of the legendary Bill Fillmaff. Shades and a hat are crucial, as well as berating people who you lose pots to regardless of whether it was a bad beat or not. Also I let out a loud HOLLLLEEEERRR every time I win a pot. Holla
Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM

I've found the easiest way to get action is to pretend not to know the rules.

Sting bet a lot, say things like "I see your bet and raise you $100 more", try and raise less than the initial bet. Buy in with some $20 chips, then when you want to bet $50 use 1 $25, 1 $20 and 1 $5. When the deal and other players try and explain, pretend not to have the slightest clue what they are talking about ... and keep making the same mistakes over and over for the first 45 minutes.

If you want to seal the deal, fake an Eastern European accent (warning: this technique can get you shot).
Old 11-29-2005, 03:32 PM

i act like an idiot and talk a lot of sh!t. holla
Old 11-29-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you want more action, how do you pursue it?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been said, but definately the best way to get action is to give action.

You say you're spewing chips when you play a lot of weak hands, and it's a given that when you play many weak hands that many of them are going to be unprofitable.

To try to lessen the impact of this, I always try to pick spots where I can get in the pot with weak/predictable players who are easy to move off hands. This way, you can pick up a lot of small pots, and show the others that you're willing to gamble. (Always remember the importance of position, also, when choosing when to play weak hands.) All the while, try to play solid hands against the calling stations. When people start catching on/playing back at you, tighten up a bit, and hope you catch some cards.

Any money lost with your weak hands (and this really shouldn't be too much) should be easily recovered when you flop a monster and you're against a calling station or somebody who's been dying to make a play at you.

[ QUOTE ]
Make image plays?

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to imply that you're making a play for the sole purpose of advertising. Personally, I try not to do this. I just try to make plays that I think are +EV, and if they're good for my image too, sweet. In other words, I don't re-raise from the BB with 92o just so I can show it down, I do it because the opener raising light and is very likely to lay down the hand. If I feel like the table has been playing weak-tight, or if it will tilt the guy, maybe I'll show it.

[ QUOTE ]
Be flamboyant and talk a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]
I try to do some of this also, but this is more of a general table thing than anything specific to my image. If the game gets real quiet, people aren't usually having fun. When people aren't having fun, the games tend to become a bit of a nit fest. Again, if this helps with my specific image, all the better. If you feel like you're spewing tells, just don't talk during your hands. Talk when you're out of a hand. Try to be consistant here, because many people are spewing huge tells when they talk during their hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 PM

The image you want to project is dependent on what type of style you play and how often you make moves, IMO. (as far as NL is concerned)

Tex
Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
def more action man, who wouldnt want to be called down by middle pair

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost called u down with middle pair last night, but then i chickened out and decided i would just stay out of pots u are in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

... at least I didn't much JJ against my fishy brother....

=D. [censored]