Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Question about Moving up--Hypothetical

Question:
You have a player who almost always plays limit 100% of the time and is a very good $2/$4(8tables)..$3/$6(4tables) player who is an average to solid 5/10 player(1table).

His bankroll has grown to easily be big enough for the 15/30 limit tables(note he only plays Party and skins with PT and PV and rakeback).
He's an average(decent) player at NL50,NL100 but currently too timid for the higher limits-due to lack of exp/knowledge.

Q#1Would you say it is more profitable for him with his bankroll to:
A play $3/$6 and move to 8 tables
B play $5/$10 with up to 4 tables
C jump to $15/$30 and work up to 4 tabling.
D get better at NL play NL200/400/600 on 4 tables.

Q#2 If the player did want to move up..which would be the better option and why?
APlay $15/$30 working up to 4 or 8 tables.
BGet better at NL and play NL200,NL400,or NL600 with 4 to 8 tables.

Note...the player being described is a solid limit player who is just an average NL player more due to lack of play, knowledge, and aggresion then anything else.

This person isn't me..

Was curious about the reponses because I've seen so many discussions about "moving up"..."my 1 year plan" etc in both the NL and Limit forums.

And I've heard a lot of comments from NL players about how nuts the up and down swings can be at $15/$30 limit compared to say 200NL/400NL etc. While I've heard from the $15/$30 limit players how nuts the swings can be at $400,$600,$1000 NL tables are.

Does playing one of the higher limit tables($15/$30etc) hold distinct advantages over playing the higher NL tables($200/$400etc) or vice versa?

Anyways just thought it might be interesting to hear the different opinions on this. Wasn't 100% sure which forum to post in but figured I'de cross post it in High Limit and High NL.

Later,
DEAD
Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Question about Moving up--Hypothetical

[ QUOTE ]
Question:
You have a player who almost always plays limit 100% of the time and is a very good $2/$4(8tables)..$3/$6(4tables) player who is an average to solid 5/10 player(1table).

His bankroll has grown to easily be big enough for the 15/30 limit tables(note he only plays Party and skins with PT and PV and rakeback).
He's an average(decent) player at NL50,NL100 but currently too timid for the higher limits-due to lack of exp/knowledge.

Q#1Would you say it is more profitable for him with his bankroll to:
A play $3/$6 and move to 8 tables
B play $5/$10 with up to 4 tables
C jump to $15/$30 and work up to 4 tabling.
D get better at NL play NL200/400/600 on 4 tables.

Q#2 If the player did want to move up..which would be the better option and why?
APlay $15/$30 working up to 4 or 8 tables.
BGet better at NL and play NL200,NL400,or NL600 with 4 to 8 tables.

Note...the player being described is a solid limit player who is just an average NL player more due to lack of play, knowledge, and aggresion then anything else.

This person isn't me..

Was curious about the reponses because I've seen so many discussions about "moving up"..."my 1 year plan" etc in both the NL and Limit forums.

And I've heard a lot of comments from NL players about how nuts the up and down swings can be at $15/$30 limit compared to say 200NL/400NL etc. While I've heard from the $15/$30 limit players how nuts the swings can be at $400,$600,$1000 NL tables are.

Does playing one of the higher limit tables($15/$30etc) hold distinct advantages over playing the higher NL tables($200/$400etc) or vice versa?

Anyways just thought it might be interesting to hear the different opinions on this. Wasn't 100% sure which forum to post in but figured I'de cross post it in High Limit and High NL.

Later,
DEAD

[/ QUOTE ]

For that particular person, Id suggest to start 2 tabling, then 3 tabling 5/10... and to try 15/30 w/ very very good game selection....

i dont know why he'd want to switch to NL.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:26 AM

So Kane, you are saying you think limit is more profitable in the long run for a good player than NL?

Because if high level NL is more profitable than high level limit, it is probably +EV for this player to switch now and move up the NL ladder. Even if it means less $/hr immediately, if it means exponentially greater returns later it is probably worth it.

Of course this is all dependent on whether we are valuing the short term or the long term more highly, and how long the long term is. So I guess it really depends on the player's priorities to a great extent.

My reply to the OP's question is that if you can 4 table the 3/6, you should certainly be able to beat the 5/10 for 4 or more tables. Anyone who can beat 2/4 on 8 tables should be able to beat any (full) game they can beat on one table for at least four tables. I can't see why this person is single tabling the 5/10 in the first place, 4 tabling the 3/6 would be a ton more profitable.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So Kane, you are saying you think limit is more profitable in the long run for a good player than NL?

Because if high level NL is more profitable than high level limit, it is probably +EV for this player to switch now and move up the NL ladder. Even if it means less $/hr immediately, if it means exponentially greater returns later it is probably worth it.

Of course this is all dependent on whether we are valuing the short term or the long term more highly, and how long the long term is. So I guess it really depends on the player's priorities to a great extent.

My reply to the OP's question is that if you can 4 table the 3/6, you should certainly be able to beat the 5/10 for 4 or more tables. Anyone who can beat 2/4 on 8 tables should be able to beat any (full) game they can beat on one table for at least four tables. I can't see why this person is single tabling the 5/10 in the first place, 4 tabling the 3/6 would be a ton more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know which is more profitable, long term, or what the long term future of poker will become, but i do know that he is alot closer to being an expert limit player than a expert nl player.

my advice to any limit player (or nl player) would be to start learning to excel in sh and hu play.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:40 AM

Ok the hypothetical is based off of every poster's wish or goal to move up over time..I.E starting at 2/4 and ending up at 15/30 etc etc.

The question had to due with the debate I've often heard in these types of post--I.E. I'm going to jump up to 5/10 15/30 etc--
The debate was over which was more profitable and less "swingy" I guess- The PP high NL tables...$200(usually this wouldn't be included)/$400/$600/$1000 or the PP $5/$10,$15/$30,$30/$60 limit tables.

So say a player is on the "path" of working up the limits but has done well enough at 2/4 or 3/6 and emmassed a big enough bankroll for $15/$30 or the higher NL tables..

Would he be better off working up to $15/$30 on a quicker than average pace or would it be better to switch to NL and work his way up $400/$600/$1000. This does take into account the players desire to play 4-8 tables to max out his hands per hour etc, and that he will only play Party and skins.

Anyways...I've heard alot of "you should just 4-8 table $400NL 6 max instead of $15/$30 etc etc....but I never hear why this would be a better option given that the player being discussed is a LIMIT player and probally is not that strong of a NL player.