Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Dreaded 4th St re-raise

I think a leak in my game is that I don't fold enough when raised on 4th St. Seems like I'd be money ahead if everytime I was raised on 4th St. I folded, suspecting that my Top Pair was beat by a Set or Two Pair.

Villian is a little looser and more aggressive than the rest of the table - which has been very tight i.e. usually only 2, 3 or 4 players see a flop. Blinds have been "Stolen" by late position raisers at least twice in the last 20 hands. The real question lies in the play after the Turn.

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds.
UTG+1 folds.
UTG+2 (villian) [$0.50].
MP1 folds.
Hero raises [$1].
5 folds.
villian calls [$0.50].

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian bets [$0.50].
Hero calls [$0.50].

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian bets [$1].
Hero raises [$2]. <font color="#666666"> Is this a correct play? </font>
villian raises [$2]. <font color="#666666"> Now what does a really good player do? </font>
Hero calls [$1].

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian bets [$1].
Hero calls [$1].

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+2 has 9s 3d (high card, ace).
Hero has Qh Ks (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $11.25 from the main pot with a pair of kings.
</font>
Old 10-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Dreaded 4th St re-raise

A. Find a better table.
B. If your read is that he's LAGGY enough to pull this play with less than top pair, then you have to call.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 AM

When villian donks the flop, I think you either have to raise right there or just call down the whole way. Raising the flop and calling down the rest of the way would be a cheaper way to play it out. On this board, there's not much that she can represent, so calling down and hoping for a weaker king or AT would be fine I think.

Personally, I raise the flop and call down the rest of the way or bet-fold the turn if she gets creative.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 AM

I'd probably raise the flop, or possibly wait for the turn (as you did) if I knew villian would bet at it. In your spot, if I knew villian was a bit laggy then I'd probably cap the turn but not always. After just calling the flop manhy lags will tryo to bluff you out figuring you missed the flop with AK, AJ etc. On the river I wouldn't be happy about the ace coming up but I'd still call here.

Good luck,
Matt