Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Could I have lost less with my AA here?

Party $50 NL ($.25/$.50) Full Ring

Dealt to Hero A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG Hero raises $2.
fold.
fold.
fold.
fold.
Button Villian calls $2.
SB calls $1.75.
BB fold.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets $4.
Villian calls $4.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets $8.
Villian calls $8.

Dealing River T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $15.
Villian calls $15.

Villian shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] two pairs, kings and tens.
Villian wins $57.50 from the main pot with two pairs, kings and tens.

The whole time, I put my opponent on AK or KQ. Should I have slowed down on the turn or maybe the river? Or is it generally correct to keep feeding the pot in this situation? At the time I didn't have any reads or stats on my opponent but he turned out to be a big time calling station.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Could I have lost less with my AA here?

You played it fine, you got drawn out on. I don't mind value-betting that river, although a lot of opponents will fold KQ there. I probably would have check/called.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 PM

A spade draw or straight draw is possible, but unlikely for villain on the turn, so I suppose you could have checked the turn and value bet the river. Of course, he would have at least min-raised you on that river under that scenario, so you would have called and lost about the same amount.

Looks like you played it fine to me. You had the best of it on every street but the river, and he only called instead of raising his rivered 2-pair. I think you were lucky he didn't raise you on the river. Could you have folded?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A spade draw or straight draw is possible, but unlikely for villain on the turn, so I suppose you could have checked the turn and value bet the river. Of course, he would have at least min-raised you on that river under that scenario, so you would have called and lost about the same amount.

Looks like you played it fine to me. You had the best of it on every street but the river, and he only called instead of raising his rivered 2-pair. I think you were lucky he didn't raise you on the river. Could you have folded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I was getting a very good price (probably 5:1 or better), I'd have folded to a raise on the end figuring he had at least 2 pair.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Like what, folded the river? You've got to have more interesting hands than this one to post.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:59 PM

Yes.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:57 AM

I would relax a bit on river still bet but a bit smaller...trying not to be rsults orientated...but the only hands that are calling you on river that you beat are KQ and AK.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would relax a bit on river still bet but a bit smaller...trying not to be rsults orientated...but the only hands that are calling you on river that you beat are KQ and AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that villain called pf with KT, then called the flop with tp weak kicker, and called the turn with same, I think that this villain will call this river with a whole lot of hands that hero beats, so I value bet this river very often against this villain

In fact, I bet more on the turn and hope to get him all-in.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:11 AM

I lost a bundle in a NL 400 game a week or so ago with this exact same scenario against a loose, calling station. I played it the exact same way. He is drawing to 5 outs, showing no resistance, I don't know how you don't value bet this to the end. He got lucky. It won't happen that way most of the time.