Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Point system for tournament participants

(I just reread the "Ranking System" post by dabluebery from last month- I did not find any answers there.)

I was thinking about assigning points and tracking totals for the tournaments that I have started running. I am not sure what I would use these for yet- possibly a "Tournament champions" tournament, maybe for some invitational tournaments to reward regular players. I might assign extra points for cash game participation and other frequent-player activities.

My thought was to multiply your final result at each tournament by a certain base point value, such as 2. In a 20-player tourney, last place would get 2 points and first place would get 40.

Should I weight the final table, the final few places and/or the people in the money with greater points? An example- multiply by 3 for final table, 4 for in the money and 5 for top few spots?

Should I add weights- any suggestions?- based on tournament size? Does winning a 25-player tournament mean that much more than winning a 6 player tourney?

I did not think buy-in value should be weighted- I don't see the difference between winning a 10-player $50 tournament and a 10-player $10 tournament.

I might also publish and maintain an MVP list based on the points. I know based on the Ranking System posts that this is controversial and may be bad rather than good for the game.

TYIA for any suggestions or comments.
LL
Old 03-19-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Point system for tournament participants

If you have a very large group of regular players (i.e. you don't have the same 10 people playing every week), something like this could be fun, but you definitely need a fairly large group of players.

If you do want to do something like this why not introduce "League Play" as an option for your players.

Players who want to participate kick $10 (or whatever) into the prize pool and they acccumulate points based on their tournament results. After a given number of tourny's winners are declared and the prizes are awarded.

This way only those players who want to participate in your rating system will be included.

I think your rating system is fine. Another way of keeping score would be to simply track the total $ amount won by each player. If your tournament buy-in's vary widely $ won wouldn't work too well, but it would be simpler to track.