Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Default LAG experiment

If you wish to learn the value of position, try an experiment where you raise with any two in an unraised pot preflop.

Yeah I just spent $50 this way at $25 NL, and it was interesting. A few people quickly adjusted, and responded by trying to push me around postflop (since they knew I usually had nothing). Having position on the right people would make all the difference.

I won a few big pots, grabbed some small ones postflop when nobody hit, but generally just bled out those raises. I don't see how anyone can make money this way in the long term against thinking opponents.

I can see the value with raising any two on the button, though. And I can imagine doing this live could work better, since you can get real reads on who you can push out with continuation bets.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: LAG experiment

being a succesful LAG doesnt mean open raising ATC pf
Old 10-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Obviously, but there's always that maniac that people think somehow are making money in the long run. Just try it and you'll prove to yourself it's not possible.

Honestly I don't know if LAGging at all can work at the smallest stakes. People have to be able to lay down the best hand for it to work. And as we know, most people at the bottom are only at the level 1 thinking: what do I have?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$25 NL

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thinking opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

does not compute.

also, small sample size.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:12 PM

So you spent two buyins doing one minor aspect of what a LAG does and are claiming that they cant win longterm? You are over simplifying the whole style of their play
Old 10-03-2005, 05:13 PM

Fine, never mind, whatever.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM

I tried it tonight for about an hour. I made everyone so mad each time I showed my cards after a monster raise. I started with $100 went to $160 and now at $70.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM

up to $125. i'm done with the experiment. it was fun and made poker fun again.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:30 PM

every time i've lagged it up i've won big.

You can't just raise all the time with nothing. You have to raise and reraise with nothing as well.....the point is that you get paid off big when your trash hits and also get huge value for your big hands.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:38 PM

I am relatively LAG at times, when it feels like the time is right for it. I'll play any pair, connectors, 1-gaps, mid-high 2-gaps and suited 2-gaps, and high cards. The idea is to keep very close attention to how each individual opponent is playing and reacting to your style.

The way you make money is by taking down the pots where your opponents are weak, and by getting great money when you hit. I also frequently put players on tilt, and they will often accept a heads-up challenge at that point and pay me off very quickly heads-up.

It's pretty presumptuous to think that after one trial run you've mastered LAG play and can safely conclude that it's losing long-term.