Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Default AA in a unique situation (P* 1/2)

PokerStars $1/$2 NLHE, 9 handed. I've only been at the table for two orbits and don't recognize any of the other players, so I don't have any reads on them and they (presumably) don't have any reads on me.

What makes this hand unique is what led up to it. UTG+1 I'm dealt AA; I raise to $7, everyone folds. Next hand I'm dealt KK UTG; I raise to $7, everybody folds.

The next hand I'm dealt AA again in the BB -- perfect because no matter how fast I play it, anyone who's been paying attention will assume I'm just playing wild. I've got $211 before posting, villain is in the CO and has me covered. MP3 just sat down and posted $2.

Folds to MP3, who checks. Villain raises to $8, Button and SB fold. I make it $24, MP3 folds, villain calls.

Flop (pot=$51): 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet $25 (a half-pot bet being pretty standard for me after a pre-flop raise), villain calls. I'd have bet more strongly to protect against a flush draw, but I wanted to invite a big raise if villain assumes I'm weak.

Turn (pot=$101): 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $75, villain raises to $150, I go all-in for $162, villain calls. Normally I'd be very wary of a flush, but I think I have to assume here that I have a good shot at getting my set paid off (and I still have to protect against a flush), so I bet it strongly.

River (Pot=$423): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

How would you handle this situation? Obviously, I don't get to practice this much, so I was winging it and probably made a mistake (or three). How do you play this optimally? Thanks.

Results to follow.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: AA in a unique situation (P* 1/2)

This comes up more then I like. Though this is the least scary situation of this sort Which I've seen. Here's my thought--

He raised preflop. Considering his preflop raise, I would typically put someone on a pocket pair or AK/AQ. Considering the top flush card is an ace, in my mind, it reduces the chance that he has the flush. Though there is a straight draw, unless he raised with pocket 3s, he's not likely to be drawing to the straight. Considering the only hand that you're likely afraid of here is the flush, which its unlikely he has on the flop, I think you're likely way ahead.

The flush draw, is scary... Let's say he had pocket ks with one of them a diamond. You're still only vulnerable to the flush draw. But your still favored to win. And doubly after the turn.

I think you played this well.

To me... Its scary when I have pocket js, the board flops 4-j-K suited... then I'm more wary as people are prone to play any Ax suited. If there was raises, AKs is a strong possibility.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:22 PM

I've been in a similar situation. Long story short, I flop junk two pair from the BB with a suited board. I bet the pot, SB check/raises, I think he's semibluffing, and I push. He flopped a baby flush, but I filled up on the river. Long tirade ensues from SB about how bad of a player I am. I respond simply, "POKAR IS EASY!" He tells me about how I'll be getting out my credit card, and I tell him, "ARE YOU TALKING?"

So he thought I was an idiot. Which made things somewhat trickier for me, because I knew that some of my standard plays wouldn't work, because people wouldn't respect my raises. I had to think about what I do when I see a maniac--I wait for a strong hand and try to get all my money in with him. But because he's a maniac, "strong" doesn't have to mean a set, it just means TPTK, or a strong ace preflop.

This is a roundabout way of saying I think villian in your hand had AK, and put you on either a flush draw or a total bluff. There's no way he can put you on AA here, which means he'll overplay a lot of hands. He's not likely to be semi-bluffing with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], just because he won't think you'll fold. I guess in some cases you'll be up against K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but I think you win the majority of the time in this situation.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:37 PM

I would reraise a little bit larger preflop since you're out of position and stacks are moderately deep. If he's willing to call $24 then he's probably willing to call a reraise to $32 or whatever. You're going to have a very hard time dumping this hand if you get outflopped so make sure your opponent has paid enough up front.

Given that he raised preflop and the ace is on the board, it's pretty unlikely that your opponent flopped the flush and you have plenty of outs even if he did. Your hand is vulnerable regardless of how your opponent perceives you, so I'd bet enough to give it some protection on the flop. You can't count on your opponent to raise you.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:13 PM

Played perfectly I think. I would feel pretty confident that he doesnt have a flush and so be happy to get all in. Since you got all in then you played it well IMO. If he turns over KdQd or pocket 3's there is just not much you can do about that.

My only comment is the flop - do you really want him to perceive your bet as weak? It seems like playing to a maniac image would call for a larger bet.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:21 PM

I agree that the flop bet should have been more. There is a good chance that the A hit him and I think he is more likely to raise on a scary flop like that if you bet strong since he will be scared that you are betting a draw. Remember he thinks you are a maniac, so it is unlikely that he will credit you for a hand that beats TPTK and he could have AxK[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that you need to protect against. Betting more looks like more of a maniac play into a preflop raiser. If I were villain here with AK, I would put you all-in on the flop probably if you bet the pot, which is exactly what you want.

@Soah: I think it is funny that there was a thread where I recommended re-raising more with AA preflop to some poster and you responded "There is more to poker than just blowing people off their hand." and now you have made that same recommendation in at least three threads since then including this one. Just to point out.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:27 PM

The circumstances in that other hand were a bit different than this one, but I don't recall all the details off the top of my head. If you can find that thread I would be happy to review all the comments and explain myself better.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:33 PM

No worries, man. Forget I mentioned it.

Edit: Actually, I think it might be useful if you could explain what you think the salient differences are here. Might make for some good discussion. Here it the thread. It was KK there, not AA, I remembered incorrectly. It is the second hand posted in that thread, not the initial post.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM

I see no big problems with this hand.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 PM

The other game was four handed, hero had position, and hero reraised 3.33x the initial raise. In this hand there's a full table, hero is out of position, and hero reraised 3.0x the original raise.

Position is a huge consideration, as hero is helpless to control the pot size from the blinds. I don't think the $24 reraise here was really bad, but I think that hero could have gotten away with more, and perhaps should have taken advantage of that in order to get in a bit more money with the nuts.