Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Thank you for disconnecting me, PartyPoker!

I love how the guy with the full house won more the second time.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Thank god for PartyPoker's mediocre software.

Wrong.

Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks.

It is irrelevant. You should be pissed off about missing out on a hugely +EV situation. On average, every time you get $100 in as a 4:1 favorite, you'll win $60 [(4*$100 - 1*$100)/5]. Party cost you $60.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

wow homer, did you read my post first? said exactly the same thing in almost the same words. it would be weird if you didn't see it first.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The blinds went up.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:03 PM

funny thing is that i had garbage cards and said to myself:

"OH, great site!! deals me same crap 2 hands in a row! i think i'll go back to planet after this SnG, there were 5 games going and i am sitting here in this ghost town!!"

Old 10-07-2004, 06:16 PM

just having a bit'o fun...don't get all "catty" on me now.

cheers!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks.

It is irrelevant. You should be pissed off about missing out on a hugely +EV situation. On average, every time you get $100 in as a 4:1 favorite, you'll win $60 [(4*$100 - 1*$100)/5]. Party cost you $60.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

wow homer, did you read my post first? said exactly the same thing in almost the same words. it would be weird if you didn't see it first.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't read it. I don't read threads now before posting.

edit - just read your post. i would say i expanded on it, not repeated it.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should be pissed that you missed out on that great +EV situation

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever cards came out is irrelevant and that's the last thing you should be thinking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, thanks so much for assuming I don't understand EV. Made my day.

[ QUOTE ]
Party cost you $60.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes and no. EV is an extremely useful tool, but it's hardly the only valid way of thinking about a situation. From the perspective of someone trying to analyze a decision, either before or after the fact, it's clearly best to think in terms of EV. On the other hand, being happy or unhappy about the actual (not expected) results of a particular hand is perfectly valid.

Saving $200 because of dumb luck, then being upset about it because you lost some EV preflop, through no fault of your own, is clearly missing the forest for the trees. The time to be upset about my losing +EV was before I knew an unfavorable board was imminent . . . and I was.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:48 PM

"Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks."

What do you propose we do when you post something like the above?

Saving $200 because of dumb luck, then being upset about it because you lost some EV preflop, through no fault of your own, is clearly missing the forest for the trees. The time to be upset was before I knew an unfavorable board was imminent . . . and I was.

I'm not sure I understand. I'd still be ticked off afterwards. In the long run, you're losing $60 everytime a situation like this occurs. It seems to me that your thinking is result-oriented.

-- Homer
Old 10-07-2004, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks."

What do you propose we do when you post something like the above?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd propose you treat it as a question about the method online poker sites use to determine which cards are dealt. I have no idea how asking that question implies a lack of appreciation for the importance of EV, but since you weren't the only one to infer as much, I'm probably missing something.

[ QUOTE ]
Saving $200 because of dumb luck, then being upset about it because you lost some EV preflop, through no fault of your own, is clearly missing the forest for the trees. The time to be upset was before I knew an unfavorable board was imminent . . . and I was.

I'm not sure I understand. I'd still be ticked off afterwards. In the long run, you're losing $60 everytime a situation like this occurs. It seems to me that your thinking is result-oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thinking about the effect in the long run of being disconnected with KK preflop, I'm upset. Thinking about the effect of being disconnected with KK preflop in this particular case, I'm glad. Neither line of thinking is inherently better than the other, nor are they mutually exclusive.

Besides, there is a sense in which your thinking is results-oriented. Since I have an advantage at a typical Party $100NL table, I should be upset about being disconnected, period. The cards in my hand during some particular instance of disconnection are no more or less important than the cards that wound up on the board and in the other hands.

The disconnection didn't cost me $60 in EV, it cost me whatever my average profit per hand is. When determining the amount of EV the disconnection cost me, to consider my hole cards, but not the other hands or the upcoming board, is arbitrary.

-- Jeremy
Old 10-07-2004, 11:05 PM

I said:
[ QUOTE ]
When determining the amount of EV the disconnection cost me, to consider my hole cards, but not the other hands or the upcoming board, is arbitrary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, that's poorly worded.

Your distinction wasn't really arbitrary, since you were talking about the situation preflop (KK vs. QQ), with an unknown board yet to come.

My point was that, assuming the cards I hold have no effect on the likelihood of disconnection, then they're not really relevant to the EV of disconnection in general. It makes no more sense to be very upset about being disconnected w/ KK than it does to be happy about being disconnected before an imminent suck-out. Do you disagree?