Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM

Default JTs overplaying

JTs can be a great hand. However, I find many people over play the hand, or perhaps give the hand too much value.

For example, if I am playing in a fairly decent game and a guy comes in for a raise early and no one else calls, I'm not going to call with JTs. Even though it's such nice hand, heads up you're going to wind up being the under dog to most of the hands he would raise with. You will end up flopping a draw and semi-bluffing, only to miss most of the time and find yourself down a bunch of bets.

another situation is against a possible blind stealer. I'd rather give him my small blind than find out at the river he has JQ or JK and has me out kicked.

Most of them time, you dont want to make a pair with JTs. Making a pair usually gets you in trouble. You want to hit a big draw like open ended straight 3/4 flush. Or gut shot four flush. Making a pair and calling down all the way when someone else is betting or raising is costly with this hand.

I would call an early position raise if like three other people called. The main thing you want with JTs is multiway and flop big draw. Dont play it against a lone ace or a lone aggressive player.

Sometimes when everyone has limped in I will raise the button or the big blind with this hand. It helps give me control of the pot and dictate the action. Also it ties players to their hands so that if I hit the nuts, they will call me with as little as top pair.

JTs is nice in the right spots. But you wouldnt want to play it for all your chips against a lone player with AA or AK, would you? No.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: JTs overplaying

I'm not sure what your looking to accomplish with this post, but I agree with what you said.