Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Couple silly things I noticed about Star wars.

Although I don;t necessarily agree with all you said, this is a fantastic reply, and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

TYVM
Old 05-17-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Changed dialogue in Empire DVD

in the DVD version (and only the DVD version, I believe) of TESB, the dialogue in the scene where we first see the Emperor (when he is speaking to Vader via hologram) is changed from the original version. The change is subtle, but significant, in that in the new version, it implies that Vader never knew he had a son.

No, I am not embarrassed that I noticed this.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Changed dialogue in Empire DVD

[ QUOTE ]
in the DVD version (and only the DVD version, I believe) of TESB, the dialogue in the scene where we first see the Emperor (when he is speaking to Vader via hologram) is changed from the original version. The change is subtle, but significant, in that in the new version, it implies that Vader never knew he had a son.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'll watch for that later tonight then.

How does he find out then?(mebbe answered in TESB?)
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 PM

The mythic structure for Star Wars was already laid out by Joseph Campbell in his book, Hero with a Thousand Faces," before the first Star Wars was written. Lucas lifted the mythic structures, as did Spielberg in some of his films. Campbell's gathering together the myths and religions of the world and finding the commonalities in their structures has had a huge influence on Hollywood from the 70's onward, and writing courses are actually taught using his book and an abbreviated version made just for screenwriters as the primary texts.

Lucas himself publicly gives Campbell mucho credit for his influence on Star Wars.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked this last night....didn't Vader realize that Luke's last name is Skywalker? Is Skywalker the equivalent of Smith in their time? Did he forget that his name is Skywalker also? Wouldn't necessarily mean father/son but some relation should be realized.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:49 PM

I assumed that Leia was adopted by Jimmy Smits' character.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:53 PM

How about:
Leia, in episode 4, is introduced in such a way that it's assumed that she's a born princess (the title is her birthright). in episode 2, we find out that "Queen" in that same society is an elected position.
obviously there are some loopholes here. Maybe Bail Organa is the current (as of E4) "king", so his daughter is the "princess". maybe, with the fall of the republic, the position becomes a a birthright and you are king/queen for life.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 PM

lots of dudes named skywalker

Old 05-17-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The films would never have gotten off the ground if it started with Phantom Menace.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are definetly wrong if you think he had written any part of the Phantom Menace before the first 3 were written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's a good thing I'm not wrong then. But if he HAD started with Phantom Menace, the other movies would have been less likely to have been made.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I asked this last night....didn't Vader realize that Luke's last name is Skywalker? Is Skywalker the equivalent of Smith in their time? Did he forget that his name is Skywalker also? Wouldn't necessarily mean father/son but some relation should be realized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it wasn't very smart of Obi-Wan to go hide Luke and 1) give him the same last name as his father, 2) give him to his father's step-brother and 3) put him on the same planet where his father grew up.