Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Default TT vs an insta-raisor

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

MP1 is a little aggressive preflop and passive postflop. An interesting thing is that he had "raise-any-in-turn" clicked preflop. He re-raised me in half a second; I think the computer did that for him. (I don't know how strong those sorts of reads are. Do you believe in internet-tells?)

Preflop: SamIAm is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SamIAm raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SamIAm calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SamIAm checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SamIAm raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SamIAm bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (7.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SamIAm ...

On the flop, I wanted to charge AQs and stuff. When he doesn't 3bet me, I still worry that he might have an overpair, but I still think I need to follow-through on the turn with the bet. What should I do if he raises me on the turn? Believe him and fold, or face the turn?

Then the river comes over-card AND flush-card. Not so cool, but better than an A. Should I bet-out? What happens if he raises? Should I check, showing weakness after betting the whole way?

Thanks for any comments.
-Sam
Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: TT vs an insta-raisor

Played as you have, I think bet/folding that river is probably best.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:59 AM

If you bet that river, what worse hands call you? What better hands fold? I can't think of any. Also, if he's truly a LAG, he might be capable of a river raise with a worse hand. I think if you want to go to a showdown, you check-call this river.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 AM

This is a quote from the "77 against a PFR" thread from just recently, and it seems like the concept could very well apply here, too.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm still against the river bet. I think everyone would agree a bet will never fold a better hand, so you're essentially getting 1 to 1 on your money with a river bet. So you have to get called by a better hand more than 50% of the time for it to be profitable right? I can't see how you get called by a worse hand more ofen than you do by a better hand here. Does that make sense or am I missing something? (wouldn't be the first time)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a classic case of needing to bet the river even if you think you are an underdog.

If you bet, you'll get called by Ax hands as well as bigger pocket pairs, whereas if you check, the pocket pairs will usually find a value bet but the Ax hands will usually check it through.

I don't see any particular reason to think that I'm behind on the river, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: He's apparently passive postflop, too, making it less likely he'll raise with a worse hand and less likely he'll bet an AK or AQ when checked to, but more likely he'll call with one.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Played as you have, I think bet/folding that river is probably best.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a second there I thought it said check/folding, almost died a small death...yeah, I agree that bet/folding is the right move, especially against a passive player. Any hand that beats you will likely value bet and hands that lose to you might still find a call...if you get raised, it is an easy fold.