Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many hands in PT before Auto-rating a Player?
200+ 1 2.70%
101-200 7 18.92%
51-100 9 24.32%
26-50 15 40.54%
10-25 5 13.51%
<10 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Vegetarians?

[ QUOTE ]
So, I will still eat meat only if it is kosher (killed humanely/not abused).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to a kosher slaughterhouse. You should stop eating kosher meat if those are your real reasons.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to a kosher slaughterhouse. You should stop eating kosher meat if those are your real reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

U serious?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM

It's great to see that there are a number of posts here from people who object to the cruelties generated by animal agriculture. If you're interested in becoming more vegetarian, and learning about the various issues involved, probably the best place to start is listening to the Erik's Diner podcast that is posted each week on Vegan.com. The host of the podcast, Erik Marcus, is also the author of a great new book about vegetarianism titled, _Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, and Money._ Highly recommended.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which type are you Ed? How difficult is to eat out when you travel?

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lacto-ovo. I have no trouble eating out ever. If I were vegan, I could see how eating out might be a problem sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto for me. Being a vegan would make it harder to eat out although would not be much trouble eating in.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think cutting meat entirely out of your diet is a good idea. Keep eating fish at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry to be blunt but this is simply nonsense. see, e.g., the long-running framingham heart study.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh?

“In Framingham, Massachusetts, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower people’s serum cholesterol. . . we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories weighed the least and were the most physically active.” - William Castelli, MD, Director, The Framingham Study

“The diet-heart hypothesis has been repeatedly shown to be wrong, and yet, for complicated reasons of pride, profit and prejudice, the hypothesis continues to be exploited by scientists, fund-raising enterprises, food companies and even governmental agencies. The public is being deceived by the greatest health scam of the century.” - George Mann, SsD, MD, Former Co-Director, The Framingham Study
Old 11-29-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the only difference is that it's slightly cleaner and the rabbis pray over the cows.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the only difference is that it's slightly cleaner and the rabbis pray over the cows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kosher slaughtering involves shackling the cow by the foot and slitting its throat, so that the blood drains. I wouldn't argue that the cow enjoys the process. The principal difference between kosher and non-kosher meat that might interest a non-Jew is that in order to be sold as kosher each and every carcass must be carefully examined for blemishes, diseased areas, etc. Anything that has any sort of a problem is rejected and may enter the non-kosher food stream. You can be sure that kosher meat has been carefully inspected by those who consider the inspection a sacred religious act (a mitzvah). To put it mildly, the government meat inspection process is not as rigorous and is more open to corruption.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Kosher slaughtering involves shackling the cow by the foot and slitting its throat, so that the blood drains. I wouldn't argue that the cow enjoys the process. The principal difference between kosher and non-kosher meat that might interest a non-Jew is that in order to be sold as kosher each and every carcass must be carefully examined for blemishes, diseased areas, etc. Anything that has any sort of a problem is rejected and may enter the non-kosher food stream. You can be sure that kosher meat has been carefully inspected by those who consider the inspection a sacred religious act (a mitzvah). To put it mildly, the government meat inspection process is not as rigorous and is more open to corruption.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. My father used to work for Hebrew National and he observed a slab of meat that dropped off a cart onto the ground. A worker picked up the meat and put it back onto the cart. He was fired on the spot. At a normal slaughterhouse, the cattle is killed with an electric prod to the brain. It's (supposedly) painless.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At a normal slaughterhouse, the cattle is killed with an electric prod to the brain. It's (supposedly) painless.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been proven beyond any doubt that it is painless. they interviewed 500 dead cows, and none of them reported feeling any pain.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My reason for going veggie is because of the way animals are treated at slaughterhouses. So, I will still eat meat only if it is kosher (killed humanely/not abused).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of my best friends are Jews, but if you think Kosher slaughter is particularly humane, you got another thing coming.

A quick Googling came up with:

http://www.grandin.com/ritual/kosher.slaughter.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2977086.stm