Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many hands in PT before Auto-rating a Player?
200+ 1 2.70%
101-200 7 18.92%
51-100 9 24.32%
26-50 15 40.54%
10-25 5 13.51%
<10 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Vegetarians?

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of people will say that moderation is best and some meat is good. they are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. One needs far more than just "some" meat in one's diet.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 AM

Big Steve tosses the salad.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:50 AM

Are you a vegan?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:52 AM

This poll needs an option for raw foodists (I'm not sure if there's a technical term for it). Some people don't eat anything that's been cooked at over about 118 degrees because they believe cooking destroys enzymes or something.

I'm not one of them, but I try to eat as much raw fruits and veggies as I can. I once went about a week without eating any cooked food, and I felt great, but I don't think I could do it permanently. Not because I craved meat or a cooked meal, but just because I'm lazy. I eat meat because it's always there, not because I like it.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I live in New York City which is the easiest place in the world to be vegan assuming you can afford to eat out all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really the easiest? I would have guessed California, but I am just going on reputation because I haven't spent much time there.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, I live in New York City which is the easiest place in the world to be vegan assuming you can afford to eat out all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really the easiest? I would have guessed California, but I am just going on reputation because I haven't spent much time there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go with Bangalore as the easiest, myself.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
being a vegan is healthiest. a lot of people will say that moderation is best and some meat is good. they are wrong. these people are stupid and have not researched the subject, also they are feeling better about the easy choices they have made regarding their diet. the less meat and dairy you eat the healthier you will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

People that ignore the evolutionary path of our species and think eating like a cow 100% of the time is a superior diet are the ones who are wrong.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having been a vegetarian for over 17 years, your reasons for becoming one will not sustain you; you will fail, so don't bother.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a vegetarian for 3 years, and I'm quite certain it's a choice I've made for life. What makes you think Steve will fail?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience:

1) People who decide to wait until the New Year to resolve, almost certainly fail.

2) The dozen or so Western people I know who have tried to establish an Eastern philosophy, failed when it came to the diet.

3) There’s a huge difference between say, a macrobiotic diet and a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. To not know which one’s right for you suggests a serious lack of thought on the subject.

4) It was never established exactly why he wants to become a vegetarian. Ethical? Health? Spiritual was alluded to, but it’s not clear if that’s the reason or for some other novel idea.

5) Too much at once- quit smoking, quit drinking and now wants to give up meat? Good luck.

6) I have never met anyone who has been a vegetarian for longer than 8 years- most people break somewhere between 4 &amp; 5 years.

Reason three is no big deal; everyone starts at the same place, but he needs to do some serious thinking because it’s a lifestyle change and like most, requires a severe amount of dedication (at least in the beginning).

Really, I’m not trying to be negative- just being a realist. Most people have a hard enough time with their regular eating habits, let alone sticking with this kind of diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 I picked New Year's not as a resolution but simply because that will give me a full month to try out different recipes and slowly incorperate that into my diet.

#2 Thank you for this, it reassures me that I will have to put in major effort to make this a success

#3 Again this is one of the reasons that I am a taking a full month to study and research this so I do not end up hurting myself, that is one reason I stated that I am diabetic in the Original Post.

#4 Spiritual and Health, with out going in to alot of philosophy, it is a belief that in order for the mind to be healthy(focused) the body must be healthy.

#5 Quiting drinking was easy as I was never a big drinker, Quiting smoking was much harder it took me a few attempts at cold turkey to realize that I needed help. I got NicodermCQ clear and did that for 2 weeks. I did not even post on here about it just in case it was going to be another failed attempt. When I went back to the Drug Store to get another 2 weeks I stopped myself and said "I am not going to spend another $50 just to prove that I can do this" so I left the store and still have not smoked. If I can do both of those then what is going to be so hard about this?

#6 My E-mail is Talk2BigSteve@gmail.com send me an e-mail for New Year's 2014 and see how I am doing. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for being real!

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose to become a vegan about four years ago on January 1st. I made it about eight days. I wasn't prepared at all, but I have been a vegetarian since then. As the guy in the bookstore (an apparent vegetarian) said when I desperately bought "Vegetarianism for Dummies", stock up on the peanut butter!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM

I've been a vegetarian for a week and it's been easy. Alot of rice based stuff (Indian food), soup, pizza, etc. Havent' really had to think about it honestly - but I live in NYC where we have 3,000,000 ethnic restaurants/pizza joints per block.

My reason for going veggie is because of the way animals are treated at slaughterhouses. So, I will still eat meat only if it is kosher (killed humanely/not abused). The alleged potential health benefits of avoiding meat/dairy are not my reasons for avoiding meat.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:13 PM

I'm a pesco-vegetarian (not the proper term but whatever) and it's one of the best choices I've ever made.