Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Alternate Social Tourney Format Ideas?

Hi Folks,

My wife and I host couples tourneys that have gotten quite large (40+ players) but we're losing the social aspect of the game. People get locked down at their table and only get mixed up a couple of times per night. I've been noodling about some format that mixes half the folks playing while the other half are drinking, then switch after some time. But I can't hit upon a format that would work.

What we're doing now runs about 4-6 hours (and people bitch that is too long) and is a standard 5-6 table tourney. I've been thinking about doing STTs that merge to a final table, but with these folks an STT might take 2 hours...

Ideas?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Alternate Social Tourney Format Ideas?

Could you just re-draw tables every hour?

The half / half idea might work also...have 2 groups of 20-ish that each play down to the final 3 or 4, and the 6 or 8 that are left (3/4 from each group) are at the final table?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 AM

Your best bet is to get another table, and just allow/offer some sort of ring game afterward. Messing with seating arraingments can get people ornery.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:04 PM

One thing that I heard about that sounded intruiguing was a "Couple's Tourney." It is intended to be done with male/female pairings but you could de-emphasize the "couple" aspect and just make it "teams" if it suits you.

The idea is that teams of two are playing. Every blind level players get up from the table and are replaced by their teammate. This way you aren't playing the whole time but you don't get completely bored waiting for your turn.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The half / half idea might work also...have 2 groups of 20-ish that each play down to the final 3 or 4, and the 6 or 8 that are left (3/4 from each group) are at the final table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried the redraw deal. The problem is if you let a bunch of grade school moms up from the table, they'll gab about the PTA for an hour before they sit back down...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet is to get another table, and just allow/offer some sort of ring game afterward. Messing with seating arraingments can get people ornery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the guys would play the ring game and we've got that covered other days of the month.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried the redraw deal. The problem is if you let a bunch of grade school moms up from the table, they'll gab about the PTA for an hour before they sit back down...

[/ QUOTE ]

HOSE? High hand jackpot? Rebuys?

You could run a tourney and a simultaneous ring game with two person teams, one player in the tourney, one player in the ring game, switching teammates hourly. That seems like an interesting format.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:32 PM

Scrap the "couples tourney" and just have regular poker nights with people who want to play, inviting others to come and sit and chat if they want.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:30 PM

P.S. I hate replying to my own posts but I'd just like to state (since I', hungover and cranky) that if any of my friends ever invited my girlfriend and me to a "couples tourney" I'd want to puke for being friends with such a sackless guy. No offense, it's the hangover talking.

Good luck,
Matt

Couples, haha what is this a roller skating rink??
Old 06-06-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. I hate replying to my own posts but I'd just like to state (since I', hungover and cranky) that if any of my friends ever invited my girlfriend and me to a "couples tourney" I'd want to puke for being friends with such a sackless guy. No offense, it's the hangover talking.

Good luck,
Matt

Couples, haha what is this a roller skating rink??

[/ QUOTE ]

God help your girlfriend for dating such a jackass.

Are you so much of a magoo you fear getting beaten by the girls?