Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Need help! - having car trouble with my phantom car alarm

So, I bought a used car 2 months ago, a Toyota Camry LE.

From what I know, the car did not come with an alarm system, and there was no clicker that came with the keys, it was just a normal key.

Last month a friend and I were at the store, and I get into my car and try to start it, and an "my" car alarm started going off and the engine wouldn't start.

I was incredibly confused, and had no idea how to turn it off. So we fiddle with it for what seemed like 15 minutes and somehow we got it to started.

Now, I went out to my car the other day and I cannot get it to start because the alarm keeps going off again.

Any suggestions as to how to get this [censored] thing to shut the [censored] up so I can start up my car and take it over to a mechanic so he can get this to never happen again.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Need help! - having car trouble with my phantom car alarm

Perhaps you should contact the person from whom you bought it.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 PM

judging by your avatar, I figured that if anybody got too close to your car it'd be like, "protected by Viper - stand back." [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

arf arf.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 PM

I'm not sure if this is gonna work on your car but the default procedure on disabling a car alarm is to put the key in the ignition or whatever its called and quickly go back and forth from the neutral position to the power on position, which would be the one right before you actually start your engine. So, you'll be going back and forth from start to the one right before you start your engine for about 10-15 seconds or so and then you should hear the alarm stop. This use to work on my Viper alarm.

If this doesn't work, call AAA or something and ask them to come check it out and disable your alarm so you can drive it to wherever you need to go to get this fixed.

Or, as someone else mentioned, call the dude from whom you bought the car from. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 10:40 PM

I had an 88 Corolla with an aftermarket alarm, and 2 dead clickers. My alarm was controlled with a toggle switch on the floor, or near the floor on the left side (I guess near where the clutch would be, if I had had a stick). To disable it, I had to put the key in, turn it to the "Start" position (not totally on, but enough for full power), and hit the toggle within 5 seconds. So yeah - look around for a button or switch or something, and try that. good luck!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:05 AM

I feel your pain. I have a 4runner w/ an alarm that I broke the clicker to when floating down the river... There's often a switch or button towards the left side of the steering column that can disable it. Honestly it sounds like your alarm is starting to break and malfunction (same thing as mine). I would reach under the dash and start cutting wires; you're bound to get the right one sooner or later.

Freakin