Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Default 66 played passively live at MGM

Warning: This hand is played extremely passively due to tilt. I however wonder how bad it actually is to play a hand like this.

Blinds are 2-4 or similar both me and villain have around $300 stacks. I have read villain as a passive player that is rather lose preflop but ok postflop but in live play that still means he has the skill of a bad NL25 online player. I have seen him bet a straightdraw once. Anyway...

No limpers I get 66 and raise to standard 4xBB villain is in BB and calls. (he can have any hand at this stage) Flop is heads up.

Flop is 995 with two clubs. Villain bets into me around 2/3s of pot. I feel that I may be ahead but I will never get the better hand to fold (any pocket pair). I just call.

Turn is 2 (not club)
Villain bets half pot. I call again playing scared.

River is Ace of clubs and he bets the pot into me and I fold.

River fold is quite obvious. My thinking is this:
If he has his draw he will continue to bet it and I will make money by not raising him out of the pot but I could of course charge him more. If he has the 9 I will save money by not raising him. If he has overcards and is just bluffing it sucks for me to play this way. PPs will not fold.

I probably should just fold this on the flop already but I felt I was ahead so large percentage of the time.

So what you say?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: 66 played passively live at MGM

fold the flop and save yourself some money.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:20 PM

The thing that sucks about this hand is that you are certian to see an over card by the river and you have no idea which over cards help villain. If you are going to play the hand then raise the flop. If you get re-raised or bet into on the turn you should probably fold. You will actually lose less doing this than calling his bet here and 1/2 pot bet on the turn. Also, by raising you have some fold equity.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:55 PM

Pump it or dump it on the flop. If you are that sure you are ahead on the flop and you are going to contiue, raise the flop. Otherwise fold.

Myself, I'd be playing for set value here. No 6, blinds bet into me, no biggie. Dealer, next hand please.....
Old 12-02-2005, 01:02 PM

Does nobody like a flop call + turn bet? Thats how I usually try to pick off overcards in a situation like this... But I might suck...
Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does nobody like a flop call + turn bet? Thats how I usually try to pick off overcards in a situation like this... But I might suck...

[/ QUOTE ]

a turn raise you mean?

if we were first to act i wouldnt mind leading out to try and take down the pot, but the villian already bet into us.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does nobody like a flop call + turn bet? That's how I usually try to pick off overcards in a situation like this... But I might suck...

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you do when a club or an overcard hits the turn? I would rather let villain think about that as he contemplates calling my 3/4 pot turn bet. If hero thinks villain is drawing then you want to make it expensive.

Put another way. Assume he has AK, what cards that hit the turn will he lead into hero or call a bet with? AK, correct? So if the turn blanks, hero will bet and villain folds so you make no more money than if you raised the flop and villain folds and you saved yourself money from the times when an A or K hits. You also forced villain to make a mistake, which is how you make money over the long run.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pump it or dump it on the flop. If you are that sure you are ahead on the flop and you are going to contiue, raise the flop. Otherwise fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not that sure that I am ahead. I would guess around 60/40 to my advantage. This is a little ahead way behind situation. Fold would sure make me save alot of trouble and thinking but I also believe that folding here everytime must be bad. Say you play it for a set as you said. Then you will definetely lose money if villain bets into you every time.

I think the answer here should be raise and check fold from there on with the exception of picking of a bluff on a non club river if thats the read.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:11 PM

I like a flop call and a turn raise here if there is any posibility in the mind of the villian that you have a 9. But I might just pop it back on the flop in this case since you raised preflop.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:22 PM

river fold is not quite obvious as I think a bluff will succeed enough to make it profitable