Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 06:48 PM

Default In response to DonkeysAlwysDrw and FieryJustice...

Edit: Original post here.

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, i went to the doctor for depression when i was in middle school and was on them for about 3 years. They really didnt do anything for me though. It seems like you want to be a "normal" fake person who depends on others for happiness. I have no desire at all to go hang out with people I dont care to be around. My problem, I guess, is that I really dont want to be around. Simple as that. If you are happy and content being by yourself, I see nothing wrong with it, I guess because that is how I feel. Dont expect the "normal" 9-5 working people to understand this though. I have learned to not care what others think. I guess all I am saying is to do whatever makes you happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with FieryJustice on this one. I have no real desires to experience any more of the life that 'normal' people my age do. I'm only 19 and I still have some good friends and a close family but I just don't care as much about alcohol and sex and parties and everything that goes along with it as much as I used to. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit, right? Some people experience certain parts of life earlier than others, others just experience too much of it way to quickly.

Anyway, it is really hard to express my feelings about these things in writing, but FieryJustice does seem to do it well. I can only give you all my word that what I say about myself is no exaggeration. I've seen/done way too many things for a person my age and I don't need to experience it every weekend. It's not depression. It's not social instability. It's just me being unafraid to do [censored] the way I want to. I'm not depressed, and I consider myself a colorful person, and I know this. But it's hard to figure all of this out by one’s self when society as a whole is telling you that if you are not on the bandwagon, you are medically ill.

Do what you want to do. But don't fall into a habit. Open your mind to everything. It is the nature of life to do what you did the day before; And to do what you did this time last year once again. This is a basic instinct that rules all of the world's life and aids in the survival of many lesser animals. But we don't need this primal instinct anymore. We are smart enough (some of us, at least) to search for better ways to live on our own. Quit looking at everyone else and look into yourself.

Do what makes you happy. And while your doing that, make sure you don't get cought up in the daily 'grind' that is (but shouldn't be) life.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: In response to DonkeysAlwysDrw and FieryJustice...

Yeah... so... if you agree / disagree or a little bit of both go ahead and say what you feel.

I think, at the least, ideas like this will provide some sort of mental 'comfort' to some of the other confused, younger poker players like myself out there.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with FieryJustice on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2005, 07:30 PM

The girls thing I can definitely relate to. Without sounding like a dick (hopefully) I've always done really well with girls but 99% of them bore me to death. Most of my friends think I'm an idiot/closet gay but it really doesn't bother me all that much.

This year I've practically given up, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I figure when I meet the right person I'll meet them. It's funny how quite a few of us seem to be in the same boat.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The girls thing I can definitely relate to. Without sounding like a dick (hopefully) I've always done really well with girls but 99% of them bore me to death. Most of my friends think I'm an idiot/closet gay but it really doesn't bother me all that much.

This year I've practically given up, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I figure when I meet the right person I'll meet them. It's funny how quite a few of us seem to be in the same boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, count me in that boat too. I had the BEST time when I lived in New York - and for an English guy you can imagine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Got it out my system.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:42 PM

I really wish that I could visit England... after watching Shaun of the Dead, and Spaced (watch both of them, ridiculously funny), I really wanna live there for a while.

Im willing to pay rent, and Im clean... any takers?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really wish that I could visit England... after watching Shaun of the Dead, and Spaced (watch both of them, ridiculously funny), I really wanna live there for a while.

Im willing to pay rent, and Im clean... any takers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chimp(st)anzee? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, count me in that boat too. I had the BEST time when I lived in New York - and for an English guy you can imagine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Got it out my system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Freud said gambling was a substitute for masturbation. go figure..
Old 10-19-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah... so... if you agree / disagree or a little bit of both go ahead and say what you feel.

I think, at the least, ideas like this will provide some sort of mental 'comfort' to some of the other confused, younger poker players like myself out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in response to all you guys. I don't wanna put too much time into this...

Im kinda in the same boat you guys are in. I really have no interest in school right now, but also, Im not really that bored.

If I played as much as some of you guys, I woulda already moved out, quit school and went pro. I dunno what it is, maybe Im lazy. I also have ADD and I don't take medication (something I need to get taken care of, but Im lazy) so that could be apart of it. Another thing is, after several hours of playing poker, I HAVE to get out. Sometimes its my parents fighting, my mom bitching at me, or I had a bad swing, but mostly becuase after work, its time to play.

What I don't understand is why everyone is putting the word 'fun' and 'partying' together, like there is no other way to have fun.

Im down for anything, so going to a party is great. If you're not interested in those types of things, there is other stuff.

Im going to play paintball this weekend. Go to a local field and rent some equipment, its almost impossible not to have fun with that.

My friend is training to be a professional fighter. His trainer, Dave Strasser (former fighter in UFC), asked me to fight in his show, and I said YES. No training in boxing, but I had a little knowledge about ground fighting. And two months later, I was at the show, like some kind of celebrity.

Work out. Learn to play an instrument. Go skydiving. Get a pool table. Wakeboarding.

Basically, there is ALWAYS something to do. You have to be open minded, and basically, when someone asks you if you wanna do this, or that, always say yes (don't do drugs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Although, at the same time, Im still "a confused, younger poker player".
Old 10-19-2005, 08:46 PM

I have always been told throughout my life that I was growing up too fast. All throughout high school, I never really had many friends my age. They were always about 3 years older. I also seem to get bored with things once I have seen something or have mastered some task.

I guess what I am saying, is that different people enjoy different things. All of my friends from high school and college enjoy going out to clubs and getting drunk. This just isnt what I like to do. Actually, i dont LIKE to do too much of anything, besides make money, which obviously isnt a good thing. I dont know many people my age that are even concerned with making money now so that they dont have to work a crappy job all their life. They think the only way to make it in life is to go to college, make lots of friends, and spend their life partying on the weekends, only to get a degree to make $50,000/year until they can retire. I know this is not the only way to make it. While i have chosen a life that isnt for everyone, I am sure it is for me and probably a few others on the forum. All it takes is discipline to not do anything too stupid that will leave you broke. So, i'm glad I have decided to not live a normal life. I'm sure that would be the mistake I would regret 50 years from now.