Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Moving Out

I have finally decided after having yet another fight with my dad about who's going to pay my summer school tuition, that I am going to cut myself off from my parents financially. I'm going to take out student loans, and pay for my own education. Right now, I have about $10k to my name.

My only decision left is whether or not to drop out of summer school and move out of the house now. I could finish out the summer here, but I don't really want to. I don't like living at home much. I have several options of places to live over the summer, and all for less than $100 a month.

Has anyone else done this during college? How did it turn out for you?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Moving Out

[ QUOTE ]
I have finally decided after having yet another fight with my dad about who's going to pay my summer school tuition, that I am going to cut myself off from my parents financially. I'm going to take out student loans, and pay for my own education. Right now, I have about $10k to my name.

My only decision left is whether or not to drop out of summer school and move out of the house now. I could finish out the summer here, but I don't really want to. I don't like living at home much. I have several options of places to live over the summer, and all for less than $100 a month.

Has anyone else done this during college? How did it turn out for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

first, give it some time, take a couple weeks and sit oun your desicision and don't be afraid to reverse it. If you have the means of covering the expenses of yuor own education (including a willingness to accept student loans) then it's probably a good idea, especially if you can get a place for $100/month. But, be careful- 10k is probably less than a year's living expenses, and it's critical, IMO, to keep a couple month's expenses and some spare cash on hand- 3k at the minimum as 'backup' money should be enought for a young person with no debts/responsibilities like yourself. so, youre safe for about six months... then what?

just make sure that you can budget your money well and you should be fine. living on your own has a lot of little benifits and a lot of little drawbacks and expenses that you won't discover until they land on you- food is a big one, also, be prepared to spend a g or so on stuff that you neer knew you needed- housewares, supplies, bills, and so on. if you can get by without a car, you'll save a TON of money.

GL- yu've got to get out on your own eventually, and i'm leaning towards 'might as well be now'. I have never regretted moving out, which i did at 18, but, don't burn any bridges either- when i was 23, i was badly injured skiing and had to move back in with my folks for six months while i convalesced. to my suprise, i liked living at home, and i got along with my parents far better than i ever did as a kid. i did move back out ASAP, though, there's nothing quite as embarrasing as not being able to take a girl home because you live with your parents. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 PM

I have had similar situations the past few years. In my opinion if you have these under $100 living options that provide what you need, you should jump at the opportunity. I often considered moving out the past 3 summers during college but never pulled the trigger due to $$$. I just spent most of my time working and travelling. But the fights were often and terrible. So i think if you have your act together, you should go.

BUT do not burn bridges, it is always nice to have mom/dad to fall back on. just explain it reasonably to them that your living styles do not co-exist well. (that is my guess at your problem, at least it was mine)
Old 06-07-2005, 09:11 PM

do u need a roommate? at less than $100 a month i will sleep on the floor [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 09:17 PM

I was going to do this too Augie last summer. I had about 20k but then I lost half of it before I left.

Where are you staying for less than 100$ a month? A [censored] box under a bridge with an ethernet connection?

Blackjack
Old 06-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Without credit, it seems pretty difficult to get a place from yourself or is there something i'm missing? I hate living with my [censored] parents because they try and make me do all sorts of [censored] and errands for them. I don't want to go to [censored] CVS in the middle of my tournament to pick up their medicine. I don't want to [censored] wake up at 9 AM to drive my sister to get breakfast. [censored] that [censored].

Blackjack
Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you staying for less than 100$ a month? A [censored] box under a bridge with an ethernet connection?

[/ QUOTE ]

In order of preference:

My fraternity house
My friend Justin's apartment
My friend Adil's house
Old 06-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Pull the trigger and move out then. My biggest dilemma was finding a place to go.

Blackjack
Old 06-08-2005, 01:01 AM

shameless bump for the night crowd
Old 06-08-2005, 01:39 AM

Be Very, Very, Very careful with student loans!!!!

If you don't need to take them out, then don't. If this is over a petty arguement with your father, then I would urge you to reconsider. A little flexibility on your part now may avoid years and years of frustration and misery.

I'm not being melodramatic when I refer to misery. Seriously, student loans can stick around for ridiculously long periods of time. My wife's parents didn't pay for her college (mine did) and now here we are, over 30, homeowners with one rental property to our name and we actually owe more on her student loans than on the rental property. If the student loan was paid off, our NET worth would nearly double.

One promise I've made to myself and my wife is that my children will never, ever have a student loan. This drives me more than any dreams of personal wealth or creature comforts. One of the most important things in my life is that my (unborn) children never have a student loan hanging over their heads.

Augie, I'm guessing your parents have worked hard to be able afford your education; it's my understanding from other threads that they are not hurting for dough. If you are trying to hurt your father by moving out, then I suggest this is the best possible move. Nothing hurts parents more than to see their children damage their future - and your threatening to take out student loans uneccessarily just to spite them must hurt alot.

This is a great way to win a battle while losing the war and I implore you to form a new plan.

cbf