Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
A hot asian chick with big boobs 20 71.43%
A funny pic of a rapper I used to listen to 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Baseball Rules Question: You make the call

This happened in my playoff game on Sunday.

Runner on 1st, none out. Batter lifts a pop fly behind the second base bag. Second baseman lines it up but notices that the batter-runner isn't running to first (he's cursing and throwing his bat instead). The ball hits the second baseman's glove, but he allows it to drop out onto the infield dirt before he had control of it. The second baseman retrieves the ball, throws to second, and the shortstop throws to first. What is the correct ruling?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Baseball Rules Question: You make the call

are there umpires? if there are and they didnt call the infield fly rule, theyre both out. theres no excuse for the batter not to go to first.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM

There were umpires there. They made an incorrect call and the remainder of the game was played under protest.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were umpires there. They made an incorrect call and the remainder of the game was played under protest.

[/ QUOTE ]

When an infield fly situation occurs, is it mandatory for the umpires to declare it? Do they have to call it on every infield fly? If it's at the umpire's discretion to call it then both batters are clearly out.

There was a Yanks Sox game a couple weeks ago where there was a runner on first, a batter hits a high fly, which would land on the pitchers mound. 3 of the yankee infielders stood under it, the ball dropped, arod took it and threw to 2nd and the runner who started at 1st was out since he was waiting to tag at first. The umpires didn't call the infield fly rule there, and it was a high pop that landed on the pitchers mound, about as much infield fly as you can get. It was also advantageous for the Yankees to let the ball drop, the runner at first was a pinch runner (stern) and the batter was someone slower like millar or nixon, i forget who.

So in that case the umps did not call the rule into a effect, which makes me guess its at their discretion. If it is, both runners are out.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Voltron, the key in your example is that none of the Yankees touched the ball before it hit the ground (Mirabelli was the batter, by the way).
Old 09-21-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voltron, the key in your example is that none of the Yankees touched the ball before it hit the ground (Mirabelli was the batter, by the way).

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that change the situation? The Yankee middle infielder which was under the ball (I forget whether it was cano or jeter) was shaping under the ball like they would catch it.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:40 PM

It is my understanding of the infield fly rule that there must be either bases loaded, or al teast a man on first and second and less than two outs for the rule to be in effect. First base must be occupied, and the base infront of him alos needs a runner. In the situation you presented, I would assume that the umpires called a double play. I totally agree with the call, and the batter-runner is a douchebag for bitching about his hit and not playing ball. If you want to complain to anyone it should be him for letting down the team, and not blaming the umpires
Old 09-21-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the batter would just run out the play like he's supposed to, there wouldn't be a problem.

I had never haerd of the rule dealing with an intentionally dropped ball before, but it is a dumb rule that should be abolished. If a base runner is to dumb/lazy to run, then he deserves a double play.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are there umpires? if there are and they didnt call the infield fly rule, theyre both out. theres no excuse for the batter not to go to first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an umpire and by rule and infield fly occurs with runners on first and second, or the bases loaded and less than two outs. This is a fine play because the rulebook assumes the batter will hustle. This happened in a Marlins Mets game earlier this year. Beltran hit a fly ball Delgado intentionally dropped it, and he threw to second and then back to first. 363 double play.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]