Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Top pair + straight draw, turned trips

Did I mess up the flop? What's my play on the turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em $50 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

Button ($73.25)
SB ($155.40)
BB ($49.30)
UTG ($101.07)
Hero ($50)
CO ($47.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, CO calls $2.50, Button calls $2.50, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.50, CO calls $3.50, Button calls $3.50.

Turn: ($27) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $15</font>, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Top pair + straight draw, turned trips

any reads on this guy? I can't decide between calling or pushing
Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 AM

No reads. What do you put him on when he check-raises the field on the flop that I am beating on the turn?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:14 AM

Hands like this are by and far some of my favorite hands to play. You have a nice made hand, and a nice drawing hand. If you arent winning already, you have the outs to win. If you just call here, push any river, or better yet, push here with the assumed best of it, let him take you on.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:26 AM

When he check-raises the field on the flop and makes a smallish bet on the turn that looks like he is trying to get called, aren't you concerned that he might have flopped the straight or a set or two pair that just filled? It looks to me like he has a big hand.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 AM

Eh...I think w/o a read that he is kinda out there...perhaps a donk. Think someone is stupid till proven otherwise (family motto). Anyway, whatever he flopped here you a. have beat b. have the outs to beat. He doesnt have TT or 99, and doubtful has a Q better kick. KJ is possible, but you have a lot of outs to chop or beat. The only hand that might trouble you is QT...but dont invest to much into it. I think you are winning this hand. And if he trapped you...lesson learned, read gained, buy in again and get a refund 2 times over.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 AM

Default i loves me a PFR. fold the turn cos your outs don\'t get paid.

df
Old 08-25-2005, 02:44 AM

Why do you say he doesn't have TT or 99? Many people in these games are passive and would limp with those hands and check-raising on the flop with a set seems reasonable. Certainly, once he filled on the turn he would bet again and probably wouldn't bet pot because he'd want to price people in.

Also, if I think I'm ahead, is pushing better than calling? Or is my hand strong enough that I want to encourage callers behind?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:48 AM

FWIW, I have been playing live cash games with morons all summer, so my mind is in that mode. I just dont see 99 or TT as a possibility, and the reason for the push is a semibluff like play, to test him, and to make sure you will get paid if you hit. I really think you have the best hand now.