Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 01:46 AM

Default 66 vs bluff-raising LAG

Opponent is 43/15/2 over <100 hands. More importantly, he has been making LOTS of odd turn bluff/semibluff raises and displaying other seemingly out-of-place aggression. Preceding this, I have called down some pretty marginal hands against him with mixed results (probably more in his favor than mine). I have been trying to get to more showdowns with these aggro players. This one ok?

Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: 66 vs bluff-raising LAG

This is probably fine, especially if he likes to bluff scare cards. If you call the turn raise, you should probably call the river bet.

If he bluffs as much as you say, you want to induce him to bluff more, which I like to do by check-call, check-call, bet-call. The river donk will often make them mad, and they will bluff raise you. This is assuming the board is relatively innocuous.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:41 AM

I didn't take the c-c/c-c/b-c line because I already had the lead, he was capable of folding the flop, but he was also taking a free card quite often here if checked to, and my hand was pretty vulnerable. He seemed more likely to get aggressive when bet into instead of when checked to.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:47 AM

In that case, NH, sir. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit to elaborate: I think it is prudent to bet, bet, bet into a LAG who likes to bluff-raise, but slow down with an underpair when raised like this. I'm fairly certain you will make enough on value bets in the long run to compensate for the bet you lose here and there when he actually finds a hand and raises.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 AM

What about checking the turn? This does not sound like a guy who would check behind us on that turn, so I think you make up for the look he gets at the river by the fact that he will bet with weak hands that he would have folded otherwise. You also lose less when behind.

Checking the turn here would be horrible against a tighter or more passive player, but I think there is a case for it here. How often does this guy bet with no hand if we check the turn? I'm guessing that it is &gt;90%.

It is also important to have a read that this guy is capable of calling the flop with air.

Another consideration is how often you think this guy will fold to a turn bet. If your read is that he will raise/call this turn regardless of his hole cards then I like your play.