Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:53 PM

Default $200 NL- JJ ... lotta players, lotta possibilities......

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($277.74)
Hero ($207.40)
BB ($219.60)
UTG ($483.15)
MP ($213.05)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $7, Hero (poster) calls $6, BB calls $5.

Flop: ($28) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12, BB calls $12, UTG folds.

Turn: ($64) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $25</font>, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: $89

Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: $200 NL- JJ ... lotta players, lotta possibilities......

????????????????????????? Explanation please.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Without a read (as played) I am am calling down his weak bets at this point. You are getting better than 3-1 here.

Do you think he flopped the straight or a set? I am leaning toward raising the flop to isolate or get villain to push (which hero would have to fold).
Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM

I lead this flop almost always. If I decided to check and it made it all the way around to the button who bet &lt; 50% of the pot, I would certainly check raise. If I decided not to checkraise because I was worried about the other 2, then I would probably stop-n-go the turn for 3/4 pot.

You've essentially played your hand like a nekkid 8. Got any reads on any of these players?

KoW
Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM

How do you fold here? Looks like villian just picked up a few extra outs with the flush draw on top of the straight draw.

I call and check fold to any 8, J or K... but I have to think you are ahead here and a reraise to $50 might just slow down the button if they are firing second barrel with AK.

Guin
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 PM

You're in the middle being squeezed. When Button bets the flop you've got two players left to act behind you. You've got really marginal cards that can't stand any pressure. I don't call this flop bet hoping to hit a gut shot or a J. Fold to the flop bet.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:12 PM

I think you need to check-raise the flop to get draws to fold and find out where villian is. Your hoping to end the hand on the flop. If villain re-raises, you fold. The toughest decision is what to do on the turn if villain just calls in which case, with no reads, I'd not want to put any more money in the pot unless I got help.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 PM

Why check the flop? Why not lead out to find out some more info; this makes your fold on the turn less-agonizing.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 PM

First lets look at preflop. What is the frequency UTG has been raising? Is $7 his standard first in raise, or is it a small raise for him? If this is his standard raise and he doesn't raise frequently then I like your call. Otherwise I put in a pot sized bet here. On the flop I don't like the check/call at all. Again it will help to know the tendencies of UTG. Will he make a continuation bet with overcards even against several callers or no? If yes then I go for a checkraise, if not then I lead out on this flop. Provided you've played the hand this passively so far I have to agree with your fold on the turn. You haven't taken any opportunity to test the buttons hand and now you are facing his bet with with a player behind you yet to act. Unless you know the button is capable of taking multiple shots at the pot with position I don't see any way you can call the turn bet.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM

not leading turn is bad