Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Default tweaking windows--priority

I think I saw something mentioned about configuring priority in task manager for poker, and I meant to look it up. so I see priority ranges from 4-24, with 24 being "Realtime". well I want to avoid as much as possible tables timing out, particularly pacific. should I set the pacific client to 24? or should I not touch things I don't understand?

okay, so I google a little, and it seems like realtime is not a good idea. but I guess High is what I want?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: tweaking windows--priority

realtime = very bad idea.

high should be used only if you really need to.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:15 PM

In almost any computer configuration the basic settings should be more than enough to run the client programs well.

This is processing priority, and there's very, VERY little processing involved in running a poker site client. I doubt you would feel a difference.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well I want to avoid as much as possible tables timing out, particularly pacific.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker software has very little overhead - unless you're running on a decrepit old machine I'd look for other processor-intensive tasks that may be causing the problem. Maybe you have too little RAM free if you're running many tables? Could also be a communications issue. If you're running many tables/gt+ and have pt set to auto-rate when importing with a large db I can see this potentially causing small problems (especially if you're rating yourself). Look for things other than the poker software causing this to happen...

Mike
Old 07-03-2005, 10:53 PM

thanks for the advice. I understand that the poker client is not computationally demanding. what I was thinking was that it might get stuck behind something that was, eg PT/PV/GT. so maybe I could ensure that a client was never neglected while there was massive database processing going on. I'm not so much trying to solve a particular problem, as find a possible improvement. but it seems better perhaps not to fool with things.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 AM

What's with the dual locations? Student or something? (I'm from SF area and miss it; especially miss seeing the bridge)

There's a *NIX command called "nice" and what it does is lets you set an app's runtime priority. If you can't find the real problem you might look around and see if there's something similar to "nice" for windows. Use it to start pt/pv and the app/OS won't let either monopolize the CPU at the expense of responsiveness. But this doesn't mean your problem will go away unless they were the trouble to begin with. The easiest way to test that is to play cards but don't start pt/pv and see if tables time out...

Mike
Old 07-04-2005, 09:07 AM

tx. yeah back in NO (where I was from) as a student. still have most of my ties in bay area (where I was for 10 years after college).
Old 07-04-2005, 02:21 PM

I play on an older computer and have to set the ptrack2.exe to the below normal priority to avoid slowdowns. Once I do this, though, everything works fine.