Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Playing at VERY LOOSE tables

I normally play .25/.50 at PokerRoom and .50/1.00 at Party. Usually, around 35-40% of the table see a flop. Tonight, I played a table that maintained a 60% VPIP the whole time. I was loving it, just waiting for a nice hand to pounce. Problem is, I never had any good draws, and I was only flopping middle pair or lower.

My question is -- How aggressive should you be post-flop with nothing higher than middle pair against a table full of people who call, call, CALL? Depending on what the pair is, I would usually bet middle pair, especially with a high kicker, against a tighter table and/or a bigger pot. But here, I just KNOW that almost everyone will call anyway, and ya gotta figure that one of my seven opponents has top pair, and he's so passive he won't show you that he has you beat. So you think you're middle pair is good, continue betting (to make them all fold, right? yeah, right), and lose even more.

It seems that at a very loose/passive table, it would seem that you'd be more apt to just check/call with middle pair. Would you agree? Otherwise valid aggression just seems wasted against so many opponents. Even if they're ALL mathematically incorrect in their decisions, chances are good that at least one of your active opponents will beat you by the river.

Interested in any thoughts on this. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Playing at VERY LOOSE tables

[ QUOTE ]
I normally play .25/.50 at PokerRoom and .50/1.00 at Party. Usually, around 35-40% of the table see a flop. Tonight, I played a table that maintained a 60% VPIP the whole time. I was loving it, just waiting for a nice hand to pounce. Problem is, I never had any good draws, and I was only flopping middle pair or lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play more hands. If this is actually true, you're way too tight (or your session just had a run of dry cards). That will solve the second half of your post, which really looks like a long ramble with little content.

[ QUOTE ]
My question is -- How aggressive should you be post-flop with nothing higher than middle pair against a table full of people who call, call, CALL? Depending on what the pair is, I would usually bet middle pair, especially with a high kicker, against a tighter table and/or a bigger pot. But here, I just KNOW that almost everyone will call anyway, and ya gotta figure that one of my seven opponents has top pair, and he's so passive he won't show you that he has you beat. So you think you're middle pair is good, continue betting (to make them all fold, right? yeah, right), and lose even more.

It seems that at a very loose/passive table, it would seem that you'd be more apt to just check/call with middle pair. Would you agree? Otherwise valid aggression just seems wasted against so many opponents. Even if they're ALL mathematically incorrect in their decisions, chances are good that at least one of your active opponents will beat you by the river.

Interested in any thoughts on this. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you feel like you have to push losing edges. You don't. I have no idea where you got that impression. If you don't ever find yourself with a decent equity edge (ie strong draws), you're too tight.

Especially OOP, checking often with a weak pair and a big field is a good thing to do. If it's checked all the way to you in late position, you might consider betting, depending on the board and table texture.