Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 03-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Default QQ heads up vs limp raiser

I have a lot of trouble with hands that get heads up. Am I ahead, am I behind? I don't know.

Villain was 66/4/.8 over 53 hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

<font color="purple">Villain's aggression numbers don't seem very high, so I'm a little concerned about the limp-raise. But I'm not ready to give him credit for AA or KK yet (I've seen the limp-raise a lot lately, with non-premium hands). </font>

Flop: (9.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="purple">Should I have raised here? I figured him for AA, KK, JJ (which kill me), or a smaller pocket pair, or maybe AK, AQ. I had just read a thread about check/calling when you're either way ahead or way behind, and was applying that here, but looking back, I'm not sure if this was the correct play. I think I should raise if there's a good chance he's playing overcards, or a flush draw. If he reraises me, then I can slow down. So what do you think? Is just calling ok here? Or should I have raised?</font>

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="purple">Now I'm in trouble if does have AK. But I'm not ready to give it up because there's a chance he has a smaller pair. Now I think it's correct to go into call down mode. If he's ahead, I lose less. If I'm ahead, I let him continue to bluff. Correct? Or do you fold here? </font>

River: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="purple">If he had checked, should I bet this? </font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: QQ heads up vs limp raiser

I raise the flop, if he 3-bets I call.
When the turn comes K, i go into calldown mode. (might be a leak by me though.)
Old 03-22-2005, 12:44 AM

I raise the flop and cap it if possible.
What flop were you hoping for? I like this one

I raise the turn also.
Hard for me to explain why. Good chance I am wrong but I would do it. This guy can't be trusted if he needs to improve I want to make it expensive for him. If he reraises I still call the cap bet.

I call the river bet.

When I play these types of players I wait for a good hand and play it very aggressively. Very likely to much so.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:44 AM

I would call down and check behind on any street should he check to me.

Just to clarify: This pot is HU and we really can't afford to get into a pissing match with a better hand here. We do need to call him down here because a) our hand might be good and b) we really want to see what he is limp-reraising with. This is not a time where we want to raise ourself out of a pot. We want to goto showdown to see what he has.

Brad
Old 03-22-2005, 01:02 AM

If he'll play this way preflop with AA, KK, JJ, AK, or AQs, then there's 17 ways for you to be ahead and 18 ways for him to be ahead on this flop. Add in the 1 or 2 percent of the time you both have QQ and you are ahead or tied 50% of the time on this flop. Raising and calling are close, but my first instinct would probably be to raise. But calling down is fine too.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:04 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with calling down.

If this player is sane, there's a very small chance you're going to win this pot, but due to the preflop action, the pot is large enough to make the call down worth it.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This pot is HU and we really can't afford to get into a pissing match with a better hand here. We do need to call him down here because a) our hand might be good and b) we really want to see what he is limp-reraising with. This is not a time where we want to raise ourself out of a pot. We want to goto showdown to see what he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what he is limp raising with.
I don't want to see him beat me on the turn or river unless I have charged him a high price for it. If I check/call and get beat I tilt. If I bet/raise and get beat I feel better hard to explain but I lose more but feel better about it. If he reraises me I am prepared to take the pissing match all the way to the showdown.

I see why I am wrong. I don't think I can stop. I get into raising wars often vs these types of players. What can I say trying to be honest here.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 AM

I've been seeing this limp-reraise thing more frequently of late; about 6 times in the last couple of weeks. So far, everytime the player has turned over pocket aces. I think most players will only be doing this with AA, AKs or KK (in that order).

I think you're beat preflop, but the King seals it for me. I do want to see his cards though.

Fishlips
Old 03-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the responses!

Results:
MP1 has 8d 8c (one pair, eights).
Hero has Qc Qs (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 AM

You do not for sure put him on AA or KK. Then raise the flop. You do not want to give him the turncard cheep Call if he 3-bet. If he 3-bet then I would call down on turn. Why? If he have a smaller pair or a J then I do not want him to fold on then turn anyway if he pay me 1 BB on both turn and river. Sure I want to punish him more but I wonta becaus he might have set or AA. It is not worth it.

Well, when the K come at turn then I think I call down anyway if he bet even if he only 2-bet flop. If he hit turn then BAD. If not then he pay me anyway by betting himself...